PDA

View Full Version : Speckled king breeding problem

themselves
05-22-2005, 09:26 PM
Ok here goes, i picked up a trio of speckled kings, just to mess around with and see how many eggs i can pull out of them, and me being a python breeder im not sure if its ok for this large female to be biting the male and holding him down? it kinda scares me cause these are my friends snakes, and im just doing the work of breeding for him. is it alright for them to bite each other during copulation and breeding? i just wanted to be on the safe side since ive never breed kings out of all my years. thanks for any replys.

jeff

Isis Reptiles
05-22-2005, 10:00 PM
Speckled Kings are highly cannabalistic, and must be closely monitored during breeding, and the two must be separated as soon as copulation is complete. It is normal for the male to grab the female by the neck during copulation. If you see the female biting or attempting to coil the male, separate them immediately. She will end up killing the male and trying to eat him, especially if he is smaller than she is. More than once I have had a female attempt to kill the male during breeding, and once I found the male halfway down her throat. Live and learn.

Isis Madec
Isis Reptiles

Wilomn
05-22-2005, 10:06 PM
You should also verify that you have 1.2 and that the one you think is a female actually is.