PDA

View Full Version : worm snake?

littlepretty82
05-30-2005, 11:33 PM
I have found what appears to be a worm snake but it has a white underside. Can their undersides be white or is this a subspecies?

Wilomn
05-30-2005, 11:45 PM
Could you post a picture of top and another of bottom? That would be a big help in identification.

reptilebreeder
05-31-2005, 04:01 PM
They are generally described as having a pink belly. Here is an underside of one (hope photo shows have never tried to post one). Another similar small snake in your area (assuming you found it where you are listed as location, Virginia)-the smooth earth snake, can have a white belly. As Wes mentioned a photo could really help us out.

littlepretty82
06-15-2005, 01:07 AM
It is a smooth earth snake. I didn't recognize it at first because they are not supposed to live in the part of Virginia I found it in. Thank you for your help!!

reptilebreeder
06-15-2005, 01:31 AM
It is a smooth earth snake. I didn't recognize it at first because they are not supposed to live in the part of Virginia I found it in. Thank you for your help!!I kind of figured that is what it would turn out to be. Where abouts in Virgina do you live? They are after all in the genus Virgina LOL.

littlepretty82
06-15-2005, 01:35 AM
I am in Buchanan county I was told there were no verified reports of them this far west.

reptilebreeder
06-15-2005, 02:23 AM
That may be correct. I'm not sure myself. It is in the west....Lee, Scott, and Wise counties at least. Hard to say looking at conant's map, how far east it goes till it hits that void half circle near your area, and goes for a little east. Cool find, regardless.

littlepretty82
10-12-2005, 01:52 PM
I went away for a week and when I came home I found 7 little snakes about 2.5 inches long in the smooth earth snakes enclosure :) !!! 2 looked like they died right after birth, one had a misformed jaw I am not sure why the other didn't make it, but the 5 left have shed once and are feeding well on worms every few days. They are so adorable! They are about 17 days old now give or take a couple days. I thought I was lucky to find one earth snake and now I have 6. I will probably let 3 go next spring to keep up the population around here.