PDA

View Full Version : Eggs Eggs & More Eggs!!!

Sasheena
05-31-2005, 08:35 PM
I thought I would give a progress report on how my critters are doing this year! :)

So far I've had overall good results.

So far I've had 3 cal king clutches laid, and I expect the next two in the next few days.

Clutch #1 was from Tigris by Bishop. She laid three beautiful eggs, then got egg bound. After a couple of days she laid another egg, a slug, and then continued to be egg-bound, until she laid the next egg and prolapsed her oviduct! I took out her egg-laying container and substrate and put her on sugar-water soaked paper towels, within an hour her oviduct was pulled back in (thank goodness)... she laid the final three eggs (one a day) without any further prolapsing of her oviduct.... Those eggs are incubating, but I've heard that few if any eggs that are laid after a snake is egg-bound will end up being viable. So out of 8 eggs, I have 7 currently incubating.

Here's Bishop:
http://www.faunaclassifieds.com/photopost/data//518/medium/4795bishop093004.jpg

Here's Tigris:
http://www.faunaclassifieds.com/photopost/data//518/4795Tigris093004.jpg

Sasheena
05-31-2005, 08:42 PM
Hubby and I had to go away for the weekend, so I left sufficiently moist substrate in the laying containers so that the snakes who were due could lay and me not worry about the viability of the eggs while away for three days.

We got back last night and the first thing I saw was this humongous mass of eggs in Licorice's cage. (The picture I took didn't turn out, so I have to take new pictures of all the clutches)

Licorice was bred to Jester. She and Tigris were both bred one day when hubby was home sick from school, felt we should breed the snakes, so he crossed a number of them without regards to my plan, so of course he ended up choosing the exact opposite pairings for these two clutches.

The clutch, all in one huge clump, is SIXTEEN eggs! Amazing! Last year Licorice took nearly 20 days after her pre-lay shed before she laid her eggs, they were nearly the size of goose eggs, and all died when the embryo was barely the size of two peas. (AC failure blamed on this)... she double clutched but alas, escaped right when she was due to lay, and returned to my mouse house after she laid. Those eggs, while never discovered, were considered to be viable, as 60 days following her escape, the neighborhood cat brought me half a hatchling kingsnake. I have high hopes for this clutch of eggs. They were a little bit shriveled but not terribly so and are responding to the heightened moisture in the incubation container. They'll never be pretty, but I don't care so long as they actually hatch viable eggs.

Here's a picture of the daddy: Jester
http://www.faunaclassifieds.com/photopost/data//518/4795Jester093004.jpg

And here's a picture of the mommy: Licorice
http://www.faunaclassifieds.com/photopost/data//518/4795Licorice093004.jpg

Sasheena
05-31-2005, 08:46 PM
The third clutch, also laid while we were on vacation, was laid by a snake who hadn't bred before. Pegasus is an albino, and I crossed her to Bishop, in hopes of proving him as heterozygous for albino. She laid a beautiful 7 eggs.. a nice sized clutch for a first time breeder. You can see the picture of Jester two posts up, but here's a picture of Pegasus (fondly referred to by my husband as "the white worm".)

http://www.faunaclassifieds.com/photopost/data//518/4795pegasus_oct_04.jpg

Sasheena
05-31-2005, 08:49 PM
Clutch #4 is still anticipated. The female is a full sibling to Tigris (who became egg-bound)... She appears to be carrying 8 eggs as well and while I tried to cross her to Bishop, he appeared disinterested in her, and she appeared to want nothing more fondly than to eat him. I introduced her to Jester, and it was love at first slither!

Euphrates:
http://www.faunaclassifieds.com/photopost/data//518/4795euphrates093004.jpg

Sasheena
05-31-2005, 08:53 PM
This is probably my last clutch (I still have one more female I might try to breed one more time for a late year clutch, but she seemed incredibly disinclined to breed!)...

Queenie was bred to Jester. For the last two years she was bred to Bishop. She is likely to lay her eggs very soon. She laid 8 eggs her first year, and 12 her second year.

Queenie:
http://www.faunaclassifieds.com/photopost/data//518/medium/4795queenieinthetree.jpg

Karen Hulvey
05-31-2005, 10:48 PM
You're off to a great start. Beautiful snakes. My favorites are Bishop and Licorice. Can't wait to see pictures of all the little babies popping out of the eggs.

Sasheena
06-04-2005, 01:24 PM
The results are finally in...

Kingsnake Clutches:

Tigris x Bishop - 3 good eggs, 2 questionable ones, 2 bad eggs, 1 slug

Licorice x Jester - 15 eggs showing veins, 1 other that probably also has veins, but is too hidden among the other eggs to tell.

Pegasus x Bishop - 7 eggs (6 showing good veins, 1 doubtful)

Euphrates x Jester - 7 eggs (haven't been candled yet)

Queenie x Jester - 11 eggs (haven't been candled yet)

All the eggs are due to hatch within a two week period. From July 24th to August 4th.

Sasheena
06-07-2005, 09:27 AM
Well, I try to check egg progress once a week or so. Yesterday I did so. Tigris 3 good and 2 questionable turned into 4 good and one definately bad. One of the ones laid after she was egg-bound is actually QUITE gorgeous and full up with beautiful veins. I was very pleased for that egg. The other egg was all ooey gooey and I threw it away.

Earlier When I candled Licorice's 16 eggs, I found veins in 15 eggs.... yesterday when I opened up the container, the one vein-less egg was looking like a robin's egg (blue spots)... definately bad. It's in a clump so I will have to leave it. Hopefully the goo won't infect the nearest eggs. Last year I covered up a gooey egg like that with vermiculite and that seemed to at least take care of some of the problem, I think I'll do that. I did successfully remove two eggs from a clump last year when they got maggots, but this year with only mold I think I won't bother. (The maggots were because I hadn't yet decided to have egg-boxes with no vent holes AND I had to keep the egg boxes in my mouse house for several days while the house AC was repaired)

The rest of the eggs look great. 44 kingsnake eggs, 28 cornsnake eggs.

It will be interesting to see what happens! The waiting is the hardest part! :)

Sasheena
06-08-2005, 06:27 PM
Here are pictures of the eggs.

First due is Tigris. Her clutch of 8 eggs is down to 4. The one that is sitting solo was laid after she was egg-bound but it has a very strong and vibrant network of veins, so I have high hopes for it.

http://www.faunaclassifieds.com/photopost/data//518/clutch052305.jpg

Next after Tigris is Licorice. She has 15 viable eggs. I've buried the one egg that is going bad in hopes of staving off some of the "grodiness" of the one bad egg.

http://www.faunaclassifieds.com/photopost/data//518/clutch0529051.jpg

Laid around the same time as Licorice's clutch is Pegasus seven babies:

http://www.faunaclassifieds.com/photopost/data//518/clutch052905.jpg

Next up was Euphrates. Her eggs are positively HUGE. One is nearly 3 inches long!

http://www.faunaclassifieds.com/photopost/data//518/clutch060205.jpg

And finally, Queenie's 11 eggs, in two egg-boxes.

http://www.faunaclassifieds.com/photopost/data//518/clutch060305.jpg

http://www.faunaclassifieds.com/photopost/data//518/clutch060305b.jpg

Wilomn
06-08-2005, 08:50 PM
Looking pretty good this year.

I wouldn't worry to much about bad eggs in the center of a clutch. I've both left them and removed them over the years and spoken with many breeders about them and the general consensus is they do no harm.

Afterall, in the wild if one goes bad and that one had an affect on the others there would soon be no more viable offspring. I think the anerobic bacteria from a rotting egg have to have suitable food sources, ie dead eggs, to propogate and if your other eggs are healthy there will be no problem.

I've got a clutch of false water cobra eggs now that are into week six and one of the eggs is REAL bad and has been since the beginning of week to, it is in direct contact with one other viable egg and there are no problems with any of the other eggs in the clutch. I've seen the same scenario in kings, corns, milks and hognoses.

Looking forward to pics of your babies.

Sasheena
06-08-2005, 09:54 PM
I'm not too worried about the bad egg either. Last year the big worry I ended up having was when flies got to the bad eggs and suddenly I had little squirmy wormies all over the clutch. That time I did perform "surgery" and removed the bad eggs, being very careful not to disrupt the remaining eggs. But unless I have some motivation like that, I don't think I'll bother. Last year another clutch (sans maggots) did fine with the "bad eggs" just buried in vermiculite to cut back on the noisome smell and visual disruptiveness of seeing the bad egg. After last years many disasters, I'm ready to accept whatever I get, and hope that overall I have as good a success this year as I had last year with my one viable kingsnake clutch.

I'm especially excited because this will be the first time I'll have more than one california kingsnake clutch hatch. Last year it was just Queenie's and the year before I had a blotched king and Queenie's clutch. This year I have five cal king clutches!

Towards the end of July I'll be making some serious progress reports... all other reports will just be when I'm feeling restless. It helps sometimes to just write about the eggs to help with the waiting. Of course I DO have two clutches due even sooner than my kingsnake eggs. One of my cornsnake clutches is on day 58, due real soon, and the next one is due on the 4th of July (which can take it's time getting here, PLEASE!)

Sasheena
06-18-2005, 10:16 AM
Thought I'd give an update (I give these whenever I'm feeling impatient for the hatching, kind of like boiling water)...

Clutch #1 (cornsnakes) 10 eggs... on day 68 today! (hatch gosh darn it!)
Clutch #2 (cornsnakes) 9 eggs... due on July 4th
Clutch #3 (Cornsnakes) ... from an eggbound female, 9 eggs laid after she was bound and obviously bad, of the first 9, only four look good, but until I get mold, I incubate all. They're due on July 26th
Clutch #4 (kingsnakes) 4 eggs from my egg-bound california king Tigris by my high white Bishop, one of the eggs from after she was bound shows the most promising network of veins. The other three are also doing great. Due July 24th
Clutch #5 (Kingsnakes) Licorice x Jester ... she laid 16, one went bad right away, another is going bad (blue, green, rainbow)... 14 good eggs is still good! Due on July 30th.
Clutch #6 (kingsnakes) Pegasus x Bishop ... 7 eggs laid, 7 eggs doing great, due on July 30th
Clutch #7 (Kingsnakes) Euphrates x Jester .... 7 HUMONGOUS eggs, all doing great. Ugly eggs... a few transparent windows, lots of knobbly spots (too much calcium?), but lots of veins too. The biggest one is almost three inches long! Due August 3rd.
Clutch #8 (Kingsnakes) Queenie x Jester ... 11 eggs, due August 4th

Sasheena
07-14-2005, 10:30 AM
Well my eggs are "cooking fine" ...

Current Status of each clutch...

Tigris: 4 eggs, doing very well, on day 52--4 eggs went bad
Licorice: 14 eggs, day 46.. 2 eggs went bad
Pegasus: 7 eggs, day 46.. all are fine
Euphrates: 7 eggs, day 42... the eggs are HUGE... one has a slight problem and might not hatch, but they're all HUGE
Queenie: 11 eggs, day 41... they're all doing great.

That's going to be a LOT Of hatchlings in a short period of time! 43 kingsnake eggs... the most I've ever had hatch in one season was 16. I think it will be fun though, and I get to find out if one of my male cal kings is het albino.

Lucille
07-14-2005, 12:03 PM
Sasheena you have gorgeous snakes!!

Sasheena
07-14-2005, 02:02 PM
*blush* ... thank you. :) I like them. I have so much more luck with my kingsnakes compared to my cornsnakes.

It will be SO exciting to have the eggs hatch.. .it's the MOST addictive part of having snakes! Although NEXT year is the most exciting because then one of my snakes will be old enough to breed with the others and I hope to have some very exciting clutches.

I post a lot this time of the year... having summer vacation, plus eggs incubating, leads me to post messages to circumvent the impatience.

But... speaking about next year... what plans WILL I have?

Well let's see.... my kingsnakes that might be breeding age next year...

2.6 of my California kingsnakes are breeding age this year ... I will probably try to sell two of the females, so that I will have at most 3 or 4 California kingsnake clutches next year.

1.2 of my floridana will be breeding age next year, I might breed them. I might also have a hypo florida/eastern cross old enough to breed, but I have to determine its gender. (I got a pair, but one of the pair decided to die). I'm more likely to try to trade my one integrade than I am to keep it, but it's really hard to say!)

I have 0.2 Appalachicola kings at the moment. Someone has promised me their male next spring in return for some of next year's offspring. I hope that this trade goes through, because the one year I bred those the babies were SO AWESOME! (too bad my male died)

I have a Pyro and a Jurassic Milk that I might cross. And the jurassic milk might also be crossed to my albino cal king. I think that will result in some beautiful babies, especially because I believe my jurassic is het albino.

Oh... the numbers of babies I could have! :)

In any case, I am rambling. :) I do so love summer when I get to just "ramble" as much as I want. You wouldn't believe I spend 5 hours at work every day even though I don't have to go in to work for 4 more weeks!

joesreptilez
07-14-2005, 02:21 PM
Sounds like you're gonna be busy this year. BTW I would once again like to thank you for all your help with my KS egg problem. Update is, out of 15 eggs 1 went bad and was removed the others are doin great. I took momma to the vet and the lumps are indeed old rat bites trying to heal. She has started eating f/t adult mice no problem .

My question now is what do i get to breed her to this year? She's a speckled in case you didn't remember lol. Is there anything that hasn't been tried yet? I wish you the best of luck with this years babies.

Joe Henderson

Sasheena
07-14-2005, 02:52 PM
Do you mean for next year? If you don't have a speckled king to be her mate, you might try to get one. I don't have any, but you might find someone selling one. :)

Tears_and_Fangs
08-07-2005, 02:23 PM
They are all very beautiful snakes! My fave is Bishop, he looks like a dalmation,lolz. =)

Sasheena
08-07-2005, 02:34 PM
You should check out my thread on "This Year's Progress" .... lots of beautiful baby snakes. Thanks for the compliment on Bishop. I have three or four babies this year that look just like him!

Tears_and_Fangs
08-07-2005, 02:41 PM
Ok I'll do that, thanks! ^-^