PDA

View Full Version : Cham cage idea...good/bad?

nosbaby
06-06-2005, 01:51 AM
Going to build a cage. I had thoughts of having a raised bottom and having just the plants sticking into the enclosure. Not the pots. Have the raised bottom made of mesh of sorts to allow drainage and such from the substrate. This way the Cham won't be eating any dirt and should keep the substrate from getting too wet from a dripper. Any thoughts?

TheDrew1
06-06-2005, 01:58 AM
I think that is a great idea if it is done well. What sex is your chameleon, because if you have a female its sometimes a good idea to have a big potted plant for egg laying. But other than that it would probably loook very nice.

WEll good luck

Matthias
06-06-2005, 10:43 AM
like the idea. i created a platform for my enclosure to sit on with holes covered by screen for drainage. only possible problem is if you ever want to change out the plants or take them out to clean or what not, if you can get them back through the holes in the enclosure?

SDsurfRider
06-06-2005, 02:55 PM
I created my own "terrium" with something like a funnel base the directs excess water into a catch basin. Then ontop of the "funnel" i have a screen to hold up the base drainage rocks, then a layer of potting soil for the plants, then a small layer of wood chips to keep humidity levels up, then a layer of large river rocks to prevent burrowing of escapees and/or the cham eating the substrate. This way the misting system will have plenty of watering opportunitees for the cham, 2x a day for 20min on a timer. Then if i feel like spending some quality time I can hand spray/drip water into their mouths..

nosbaby
06-07-2005, 12:13 AM
It would be a two piece design split in the center of the hole for the plant, so you can remove the main plant as needed. I like the funnel idea....I may also incorporate that into my idea :) The Cham (will be) a male. Trying to get some housing first. Getting a small ESU cage for now being it will just be a baby from Frantz Herpetological. Just getting ahead of the game so I can have a nice permanent setup for him when he grows up :)

pcfreak
06-22-2005, 03:16 PM
I was thinking the same exact thing.if you do it post some pictures and some advice for it. like how to connect it to the bottom of the cage.
Thanks,
jacob