PDA

View Full Version : my newest woma

hhmoore
06-06-2005, 11:32 AM
With the group I've got going, I really didn't need to buy a baby to bring in fresh blood...but she was just so cute I couldn't resist (and broke one of my usual rules in the process). she is opaque in the pics...getting ready for her first shed, but she ate her first ever f/t rat pup last night.

hhmoore
06-06-2005, 11:40 AM
figures she would go opaque...just when I want to take her picture. but me being me, I did it anyway :raspberry
the pics show the very few breaks in her pattern - great striping

hhmoore
06-06-2005, 11:47 AM
looking back at those, maybe I didn't need to buy that new camera after all...probably would do just fine by learning the bells and whistles on this one. oh well, it seemed like the thing to do at the time. Test shots with the new toy to come soon

Jim O
06-06-2005, 11:51 AM
She is a cutie. She ought to make nice babies.

hhmoore
06-06-2005, 12:02 PM
Thanks, Jim.
btw, how did you make out with the rest of your woma clutch? are the all hatched yet? and what incubation temps did you use? Can't wait til next spring, lol.

Jim O
06-06-2005, 12:07 PM
Sadly all of the rest of mine were stillborn fully developed snakes. I'm not sure why. I incubated at 88˚. The two that hatched alive both just shed out and the female ate a fuzzy last night. The male is very high strung still, and would only strike defensively. Hopefully he calms down.

hhmoore
06-06-2005, 12:24 PM
Sadly all of the rest of mine were stillborn fully developed snakes. I'm not sure why. I incubated at 88˚. The two that hatched alive both just shed out and the female ate a fuzzy last night. The male is very high strung still, and would only strike defensively. Hopefully he calms down.
Wow, SADLY is right. Sorry to hear that...you must have been pretty disappointed. I know how much I am looking forward to my first woma clutches. I wonder what happened... :confused: You said there were 13 eggs, and only half survived to the end of the incubation period, right? were the other ones fertile eggs that just went to crap? maybe a humidity issue (thinking too high)? I haven't seen a whole lot about incubation techniques for these guys...hopefully I'll find something good by winter what did you use for incubation media?

Jim O
06-06-2005, 12:50 PM
I used a no substrate technique but the problem was that I was not expecting the clutch. The male and female were observed copulating but I never witnessed an ovulation. In retrospect, looking at photos, she was obviously gravid but I wasn't sure so I tried feeding her after what I thought might be a pre-lay shed and she ate. She ate twice in fact, a large rat each time. She had been refusing prior to that. So I figured she was not gravid. In fact I was planning to re-introduce the male when I checked on her and found the clutch. She was maternally incubating 6 that were all adherent. None of the others survived. Of those 6, two hatched and 4 were still born.