PDA

View Full Version : A prayer please............

Rebel Dragons
06-21-2005, 10:42 PM
Just got a phone call that my mother has had another heart attack. This makes 3 since May 2004. The first had her on life support for 89 days ( 6 way bypass) and in a nursing home for 4 months. She got out of the nursing home in Jan 2005 to start her life over from scratch. Last Wed she had a minor attack that had her in the hospital for 2 days. Today she had a massive attack and at this moment is in a med induced coma.

I ask that you pray for her recovery. (She is only 48) I am the oldest of 5 kids. Ages 26, 20, 17, 16 and 12 so she would be leaving a lot behind.

Jim O
06-21-2005, 10:57 PM
Mike, be certain that you and your mother and the rest of your family are all in my prayers. Hang in there my friend.

WebSlave
06-21-2005, 11:14 PM
My cup runneth over with prayers today............

Wilomn
06-21-2005, 11:40 PM
I am sincere in my wishes for your mother's speedy and complete recovery. I'll be sending positive thoughts her way, yours too.

shrap
06-21-2005, 11:59 PM
My sincerest best wishes to you and your mom, Mike. You both will be in my prayers.

Manhattan Herps
06-22-2005, 12:24 AM
i will keep her in my thoughts and prayers mike, you can count on that

Lucille
06-22-2005, 08:20 AM
Both of y'all are in my prayers....

Jeremy Letkey
06-22-2005, 08:39 AM
Mike, well wishes for you and your family.

Cat_72
06-22-2005, 09:15 AM
Mike, I will keep you and all of your family in my thoughts and prayers. Please keep us updated on your mom's health whenever you have the chance....

*hugs*

Rebel Dragons
06-22-2005, 12:40 PM
At 2pm Est this afternoon she will going in for another surgery. Apparently she has a blocked stint due to a large bloodclot. She is once again on a feeding tube and they have intibated her for the surgery. They have also informed me that empasema she has had, has progressed and has badly damaged her lungs. Shortly following the surgery to unblock the stint they plan on doing a bronchoscopy to clean out her lungs.

Other than that I really don't know much as I am relying on information from my 20 yr old brother and the nurses at this point know nothing more than what is planned. I have asked that the surgeon call me as soon as they are done. So I guess I just have to sit and wait.

dragonflyreptiles
06-22-2005, 01:14 PM
So sorry to hear that Mike and my thoughts and prayers are with you and your family!

Rebel Dragons
06-22-2005, 01:20 PM
Sorry for my rudeness everyone. THANK YOU for your thoughts and prayers. I meant to put a big thank you in my last post but forgot. Not quite thinking 100% today.

Rebel Dragons
06-24-2005, 05:40 PM
Wanted to let everyone know she made it through surgery with no complications. She is still in a med induced coma but her doctors are planning to wake her up on Monday. Machines are breathing for her at the moment because the brochoscopy is a very hard procedure on ones lungs. We shall see if she can breathe on her own come Monday evening. I will let everyone know what happens.

Thank you!!!

dragonflyreptiles
06-24-2005, 05:50 PM
That is great, I hope everything goes well from here on out too.

Jeremy Letkey
06-24-2005, 05:53 PM
Mike, I hope all goes well. Please know that we have you and your family in our thoughts and prayers.

Rebel Dragons
06-24-2005, 05:53 PM
Thanks Wendy,

I hope all goes well too. Just worried if her lungs will be strong enough to get of the respirator.

Cat_72
06-24-2005, 09:50 PM
We're still keeping you all in our thoughts here Mike.....so glad things have progressed well..... :)

LakesideBoas
06-25-2005, 03:05 AM
I am glad your mother seems to be doing well and has come through the surgery as well. I will make it a point to check here Monday to hear how she is then. Until then know your family, especially her, is on my prayer list.

robin d.
06-25-2005, 11:26 AM
mike
you, your mother and your family will all be in our prayers. if you need anything you have my number

Golden Gate Geckos
06-25-2005, 12:05 PM
I am praying for your Mother's full and speedy recovery, and for your family's courage and strength to help each other through this. God Bless...

Rebel Dragons
06-25-2005, 01:16 PM
Thank you everyone for your thoughts and prayers. Through all this and what happened with the Hammacks it puts ones actions and life into perspective.

All I want to do is call my mom and tell her how much I love her. I just hope she can answer the phone on monday. Monday just ain't coming soon enough for me.

Whew, Damn it's hard to write through tears.

Cat_72
06-25-2005, 02:17 PM
Aw Mike....I know it's not the same.....but

[SIZE=7]*HUGGGGGGGGGGG*[SIZE=7]

Cat_72
06-25-2005, 02:18 PM
Sorry, I can't get the dumb big font to work.....but it was a REALLY big hug. :)

Rebel Dragons
06-27-2005, 04:17 PM
4:14 pm back in Pa and I have heard nothing. No one answering phones and the nurses station won't tell me anything until the Dr's tell them something..................

This is where I start to panic right? I hate this f-in waiting.

Jim O
06-27-2005, 04:19 PM
Not time to panic *yet*. Standard protocol. Hang in there.

Cat_72
06-27-2005, 10:08 PM
Yep, they're always like that....I don't think it's panic time, sometimes you just have to wait til the docs get around to telling them what they need to know as well. They don't want to give any wrong info, good, bad, or otherwise. Hang in there....

dragonflyreptiles
06-29-2005, 12:32 PM
Mike, is your mom doing any better?

Rebel Dragons
06-29-2005, 01:20 PM
Wendy, I wish I knew.

No one tells me anything of importance when I call. I called about 20 min ago and got the nurses station. They told me she was "comfortable". I asked what that meant and she said " Honey, the status has not changed. The Doctor will be in later today to see her. Until then there is no reason to keep calling." ( I usually only call 2 times a day ) At that point I asked her name and what her Nursing supervisors name was. Maybe I can convey to the "super" why family members call the hospital. Then he can let all the others little nurses know.

My mother is a M.S.P.R.N. and until last May was D.O.N of a 650 bed nursing home in Lititz, Pa. I know for a fact she has sent girls home for having an attitude like the nurse I talked to today had. I have seen my mother get out of bed at 3 in the morning to go hold the hand of one of her residents while they were dying. Hell, 2 Christmas's ago she brought a 78 yr old woman home with her to have dinner with us.

I just know my mom would die to see what kind of care she is getting from the nurses. Maybe I am jumping to conclusions but I am just going on phone calls and what I saw first hand last May- August. You see a lot when you are at a hospital for 100+ days just sitting, watching, and waiting.

Sorry to rant, it just pisses me off the see and talk to health care workers who know longer mean the meaning of "patient focus".

Jim O
06-29-2005, 01:23 PM
Hang in there Mike. You and mom are still in my thoughts and prayers.

dragonflyreptiles
06-29-2005, 02:00 PM
Mike, sometimes you have to rant to get out the frustration of the situation!

I don't like ill mooded nurses myself, and have more than once been ticked off by medical staff and voiced my concerns to the supers above them.

Maybe you will be able to get better information later when the DR comes in, your family is in our thoughts!

PaulSage
06-29-2005, 02:49 PM
Mike,
My apologies for not extending my concern earlier. To be completely honest, it scares the living crap out of me. I lost my Dad to an unforseen heart attack three years ago. He was only 49. The thought of something happening to my mom as well is just unfathomable.
I really do hope and pray that your mom recovers well. She is obviously a fighter. I can't even imagine how you're feeling right now, and I'm sure the rude nurses aren't helping. In my opinion, nurses should be understanding and compassionate, and apparently the ones you've spoken with are not.
Paul

Rebel Dragons
06-29-2005, 05:36 PM
My mom woke from her coma today a little after 5 pm. I could not talk to her because she is still intibated(sp?) but she wrote a note to tell everyone she is feeling great.

They will try to extibate(sp?) her tomorrow morning at 10 am to see if she can breathe on her own.

Thank you everyone for the prayers and good thoughts!!!! :)

The nurse I spoke with this afternoons name was Nancy. The name of my grandmother. I took this as a great sign. She was sweet as could be and you could tell that she genuinely cared for her patients.

I can finally breathe again and stop carrying this damn phone around with me 24/7 lol

dragonflyreptiles
06-29-2005, 05:52 PM
That is great Mike, I hope she continues to improve and all goes well tomorrow!

Golden Gate Geckos
06-29-2005, 06:11 PM
I'm glad to hear the news, Mike! Your family has been in my prayers. Please keep us posted on your Mom's recovery!

Jeremy Letkey
06-29-2005, 06:12 PM
Mike, I'm very happy for you and your family. Hopes all continues to go well.

LakesideBoas
06-29-2005, 07:17 PM
I am so happy she's awake now! Your Mom sounds like a terrific person, here she wakes up and her first thought is to let everyone else know she's okay! What a Great Lady...and you can tell her I said that! :)

P.S. You know you're still going to carry that silly phone! :raspberry

Jim O
06-29-2005, 07:18 PM
That's great news Mike!!! I pray the extubation goes well.

robin d.
06-29-2005, 07:34 PM
great news mike!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

dragonflyreptiles
07-02-2005, 09:19 PM
Mike, I am only posting this here to try to defer any more debates on the Hammack Fund and I really don't think you want any of those debates attached to your moms situation, but I take it from this post:

We drove to Texas today to visit some family and when I got home, oh about 2 hours ago I had a message on the machine telling me to start shopping for a plane ticket back home.

that your mom has taken a turn for the worse. I am so so sorry, how is she doing, what happened?

Rebel Dragons
07-02-2005, 09:26 PM
All they are telling me is that blood clot is in her lungs and it doesn't look good. They are saying 48 hours. My heart is telling me not to worry because my mom is a fighter.

I am just sitting here kinda numb and waiting for my brother to call me back with more info.

She made it past 89 days on life support last year I know she can get past this too.

Lucille
07-02-2005, 09:54 PM
((((Mike)))) you and your Mom are in my prayers...

Jim O
07-02-2005, 10:04 PM
Just shakes my head in disbelief. I am so very sorry Mike. I will pray for you mom and that she makes a full recovery still, and if not, that she has a painless, easy end.

dragonflyreptiles
07-02-2005, 10:09 PM
Mike I am so sorry, that does not sound good to me either but I hope things improve and that she fights her way through this battle like she has fought her way through the battles in the past.

LakesideBoas
07-02-2005, 10:09 PM
I am so sorry to hear that. I haven't read anything but this thread, so I missed your post. Know that she has a fan here...and so do you! I'll keep you all foremost in my thoughts.

Jeremy Letkey
07-04-2005, 01:20 AM
Hoping and praying for the best.

Matt Haines
07-04-2005, 07:27 PM
$8 is much too young and I pray for her safe and speedy recovery.

critical bill
07-04-2005, 09:36 PM
Mike...so sorry I didnt catch this thread earlier. Your moms in my prayers for a speedy recovery. My mom had a quadruple a few years back so I understand what youre going through. If I can help in anyway dont hesitate to call on me.

Rebel Dragons
07-05-2005, 01:27 PM
I appreciate that Chuck.

I PM'ed a couple people yesterday to let them know that the bloodclot with a combination of medicine and a laser surgery has been broken up. I state with guarded optimism that things are looking up. I actually am starting to hesitate posting here because things happen so quickly it is hard to keep up.

At this point only time will tell. I will keep everyone informed.

I am just waiting for this roller coaster ride to end. :>Puke<:

dragonflyreptiles
07-05-2005, 01:49 PM
I hope it continues to go well Mike and I understand if you can't all the updates, Im just glad things are looking better!

critical bill
07-05-2005, 03:25 PM
I state with guarded optimism that things are looking up.

Well God Bless...that is great news Mike! So glad to hear your moms better than she was and I'll continue to pray she gets better with each passing day. You need me just holler.....