PDA

View Full Version : Building a cage/newb questions

pcfreak
06-22-2005, 02:56 AM
Im planning on building a cage and i have some questions. Is wood or some type of metal better. What should i use for the screen(i heard phifer petscreen was safe.) Any ideas and pointers would help me out a lot. I plan to buy a cham from kammerflage, bluebeast, or screameleons and i was wondering if there is any difference between them.(all 3 seem very professional.) im also worried about the bottom of the cage, any suggestions on that.any other pointers would be helpful too. Sorry for asking so many questions I just want to be prepared when i get my cham and not have it killed because i did something wrong.
Thanks,
Jacob

duckhunter_13
06-22-2005, 12:22 PM
First of all, don't use screen....screen can rub the noses off of an animal....and will become a prolblem down the road.......use glass.......thats the best type of see through material u can get....Wood is definently better if ur making it urselfe.....the metal can end up with sharp points and such....

Chris Anderson
06-22-2005, 12:48 PM
Don't use glass, chameleons tend to not do well in glass enclosures. Tall screen enclosures are best for chameleon habitats. You can either use that pet stuff or you can use the plastic dipped wire mesh (stronger). I'd use a wood frame (just easier to work with). If you spend some time looking through the forum, you should see photos of a number of people's home build enclosures.

Chris

niels
06-22-2005, 02:05 PM
I'm sick and tired of all your "don't use glass or wood enclosures. I thought people learned something from the "jim topic" !

There is NO such thing as wrong enclosures, if ANY ONE could give me some clear facts, why one thing is better then another. People always think what other people do is wrong, just because they might have some good experience with one thing.

If you take a look at how people keep chams all over the world, and know im talking about breeding lot of chams, then you will see that it depends one where you come from.
Many people from usa and other countrys with high temps, offen use screen and people with cold temps offen use glass.

One thing we can be sure off, is that chams don't like cages with no air flow, like aquariums.

IF any people want to give a good advice, then maby you should write it in another way.

write where you come from and why YOU think it would work for you.

there are MANY people all over the world who breed chams, but don't have famous names or home pages.

To jacob. I live in Denmark and I use glass and wood cages and both things works very well. In the summer when the temps are high, I use screen cages in my garden.

pcfreak
06-22-2005, 03:08 PM
Don't use glass, chameleons tend to not do well in glass enclosures. Tall screen enclosures are best for chameleon habitats. You can either use that pet stuff or you can use the plastic dipped wire mesh (stronger). I'd use a wood frame (just easier to work with). If you spend some time looking through the forum, you should see photos of a number of people's home build enclosures.

Chris
__________________________________________________ _______________

I have read about how glass can be bad, but if it works it works. I'm prob going to get a nylon mesh(which i think phifer is not sure) instead of aluminum(heard it wears down chams nails/leads to infections) and the mesh will be easier to work with when I build it. Im planning on making a pretty big cage so the glass would be expensive(im predicting.)
Thanks,
Jacob

P.S. dont make this a flaming thread

pcfreak
06-22-2005, 03:09 PM

Chris

where can i read about the plastic dipped wire mesh?
thanks,
Jacob

Chris Anderson
06-22-2005, 04:23 PM
Fair enough, I'll qualify my statement with why I believe what I do.

My recommendation and opinion comes from having worked with chameleons in both glass and screen enclosures. I've used both in hot climates (Southern US) and cold climates (The Netherlands, Czech Republic and upstate NY). I've found that and believe that both can and do work with the proper precautions and conditions. That said, I've found that the mesh enclosures are consistantly easier to manage, maintain and succeed with. Having lived in Europe for a combined period of over 9 years and having worked with chameleons there in both glass and screen enclosures, I can tell you that availablity of superior glass enclosures is far better there than I've ever come across in the US. The designs and costs of large glass enclosures in Europe far exceed any I've encountered in the US. Most glass terrariums in the US are basically fish tanks with screen lids and it is my opinion that they are not adequate enclosures for chameleons. The enclosures that are part glass and of appropriate size are generally extremely expensive compared the the mesh alternative and I believe the draw backs of working with glass are not worth the hassle or the added likelyhood of encountering problems with health, especially for new keepers. It is my opinion and experience that many chameleons get highly stressed by glass whether it be from reflection or not understanding that a barrier exists. Further, even with high humidity species in dry areas, I feel the extra effort to maintain humidity and/or heat in an all screen enclosure is worth the decreased rate of illness I've experienced and known others to experience compared to use of glass enclosures. I've found that maintaining chameleons in glass enclosures (part of full) requires added work to ensure that respiratory and other illnesses don't take hold. While I'm in no way saying it isn't possible to house chameleons in glass enclosures, I do not think the average new keeper needs the additional work or is necessarily qualified to properly watch for common problems that occur in glass enclosures. It is my opinion that for true chameleons, screen and wood enclosures are far superior to glass and that is why I categorically recommend screen over glass for adult true chameleons.

Jacob, this is what I'm refering to: http://www.china-fence.com/welded-wire-mesh-panel/welded-wire-mesh-p.htm You should be able to track it down at a local hardware or garden supply store.

Chris

pcfreak
06-22-2005, 07:05 PM
thanks

qstendious
06-24-2005, 02:16 AM
"One thing we can be sure off, is that chams don't like cages with no air flow, like aquariums".

So how do you get air flow in a glass cage (aka-aquarium) without putting a fan on top of it (which I read is not good for chams)?

Just wondering

niels
06-25-2005, 05:56 AM
ohhh, but when I say I use glass, I have mesh all over the top and in some of the front or the side to get the air flow, i never use a fan.

to chris, much better reply.

romad119
07-05-2005, 11:44 PM
If you are in colder climes possibly go with a back and /or sides from solid materials (plastic, etc) and then screen for the front and top. There are various ways to adjust insulating properties then just screen vs. glass.

romad119
07-05-2005, 11:46 PM
Also, plastis sheets and lumber are waterproof and mold resistant. Alot of new things coming into use now.