PDA

View Full Version : Double Clutching in California Kingsnakes

collisonzoo
06-27-2005, 11:23 PM
We have been breeding california kings for 6 years now, and every year one, if not all of our females lay a second clutch. We do not put them back in with a male after the first breeding. I think we have only gotten one good egg out of several second clutches. Does anyone else have this problem or have any idea how it can be avoided? It is really hard on the snakes, and we'd like to put a stop to it if we can.

Thanks.
Kari

Sasheena
06-28-2005, 05:57 PM
The following is based on what I've heard but I cannot be certain it is true:

I've heard that when a snake has a second clutch (especially when not introduced to a male) that the snake will invest about the same amount of effort into the dud egg as a good egg. If your snakes are double clutching, I don't think that you can avoid this happening, but what I would do is try to increase their feeding after the first clutch is laid, using smaller items and if they are frozen thawed, split the back and dust with some vitamin powder to try to help her out... and I would go ahead and breed them again... if they're putting the same effort into the eggs as viable eggs, then you might as well see that they are fertile eggs.

Generally if a snake double clutches in the manner you describe, it is because that snake is predisposed to double clutching.

Anyway, hope that helps.

collisonzoo
06-28-2005, 11:23 PM
That was very helpful. Looks like we'll try our best to fatten them up between breedings and then give them every other year off. Thanks for the help.

Kari

Wilomn
06-29-2005, 02:24 AM
Even giving them the year off may not help. I've got some kings that lay without being with a male. I've got others that will double clutch whether or not they're with a male twice. Sometimes I get a viable second clutch and sometimes I don't.

Cover your bases. Feed the heck out of them, put them with the males at least twice, and see what kind of cool babies you get.