PDA

View Full Version : Fly by night know nothing breeders!!

BoaJeff
07-12-2005, 10:40 PM
Well saw the following ad on KS and got a good laugh. Personally I am tired of these know nothings and fly by night breeders. All their ads are laughable but this takes the cake. I posted this on the ks forum but was deleted in minutes.

http://market.kingsnake.com/detail.php?cat=7&de=327148

Karen Hulvey
07-12-2005, 11:12 PM
This person obviously doesn't know about the genetics of the tiger & super tiger retics but does that make him a "fly by night breeder"?

Just last year when a friend of mine bred two tiger retics together and out popped normals, tigers & supertigers I had to go on this very site and ask about it. My friend knew he'd get supers out of the pairing but had no idea he'd also get normals that are het for nothing. So is he also a "fly by night" breeder?

I'm sure you were born knowing all the facts about the genetics of retics and never was a "no nothing, fly by night breeder". Me, I'm still learning and always will be so at any given point in time I can also call myself a "no nothing, fly by night breeder."

Now if that guy is trying to scam people then I think he is an ahole but until I know that all I get out of his ad is that he doesn't understand the genetics of retics.

BoaJeff
07-12-2005, 11:23 PM
I'm not saying he is a bad person because of it I just don't think he should be advertising his snakes without at first understanding them. And IMO you shouldn't breed something you know nothing about. It is irresponsible and makes you look pretty stupid when you advertise them for sale.

Karen Hulvey
07-13-2005, 01:24 AM
I agree that not knowing about the morph the person is selling makes him look like an idiot. Just because someone doesn't understand genetics doesn't mean they don't understand the snake or know nothing about that species of snake. A tiger reticulated python is still a reticulated python, no matter what the morph. So that has nothing to do whatsoever on whether the person understands the animal or not.

My friend who has a small grasp of snake genetics has owned retics and tons of other snakes for over 30 years and has bred them (retics) for the past 8 or so years. He may not understand everything involved with all the new morphs but I trust him 100% when it comes to the husbandry and breeding of the animals. He knows his chit.

The person who placed that ad may be like my friend and know his animals but not understand the genetics involved or he may be just like his ad makes him sound, an idiot. We'll probably never know the truth.

BoaJeff
07-13-2005, 01:36 AM
Thats' definitely true, but I can tell you one thing an ad like that will keep me from purchasing a snake from him or anyone else who shows that they do not know about genetics or their animals.

Karen Hulvey
07-13-2005, 01:43 AM
You're right, an ad like that wouldl keep me from buying from them too that is unless the price is below market and the animal is flawless. I've seen that happen before when people truly have no idea what they have and sell it cheap.

But the buyer must know the genetics before he/she would even know that the ad is idiotic. Believe me, last year before I inquired here about what came out of the tiger to tiger eggs, I thought that the normal looking babies were het for tiger. I asked on this site and someone set me straight.

So I guess we, as buyers, had better do our homework before we start purchasing snakes which can't be het for this or that. Nowadays it is truly a buyer beware market with so many, many different morphs of so many different snakes.

BoaJeff
07-13-2005, 02:00 AM
Agreed, but before anyone purchases any animal, especially a retic they should know alot about the animal. I think this hobby would be in alot less trouble if everybody did a little homework before selling and sellers asked a few questions before selling.

DragonCharm
07-13-2005, 02:05 PM
For the guy's own sake he needs to learn soon, even if it's to learn just enough to make his ads clear as to what he's selling. Not only would it be beneficial to the customer but it would benefit him when guys like Jeff aren't scared off and discouraged from purchasing them.