PDA

View Full Version : am i doing tha rite thing?

dragonblood105
08-01-2005, 03:14 PM
Hi. I have a young ball python (1ft, 7 in) that i am feeding twice a week (every saturday and wednesday) with fuzzy mice. Is it alright to be feeding him this often? I'm feeding him 2 times a week because i want him to grow at a faster pace, and i think its working, he grew 2 inches over a few weeks. He has no trouble eating 2 times a week, hes like a bottomless pit. But today i looked in his cage and he had thrown-up tha fuzzy i fed him 2 days ago in his water dish, does this have anything to do with his two-time-a-week feedings?

Karen Hulvey
08-01-2005, 06:23 PM
Did you handle the snake right after you fed it?
What are the temps in the cage? Too hot or too cold can cause the snake to regurgitate food.

If your snake is truly 1'7", then it should be eating larger prey items. Two fuzzies a week is nothing compared to what that snake should be eating. A large mouse or a small rat once a week would be better than two fuzzy mice.

dragonblood105
08-01-2005, 07:32 PM
I dont handle the snake for a couple of days after i feed him. The temperature in the cage is about 87F. ya, hes 1'7"(he was measured with a measuring tape), srry, i didnt mean a fuzzy, i was thinking of something else, he gets small live mice, or weaned mice iv heard them be called. So is this 2 much 4 him? click the link to see the size he gets http://cflreptilebreeders.com/WeanedMice

handsomeRob
08-02-2005, 02:02 PM
HOLY!!! no wonder he eats twice a week....he's hungry!!! one i have is about 2.5'-3' and will gladly take down 3 small to medium rats a week.

dragonblood105
08-02-2005, 03:49 PM
i thot u were supposed 2 feed tha snake a rodent that waz tha same size as his stomach, a mouse tha size of tha 1 in tha link is exactly tha same size as the thickest part of his body, or waz tha person who told me this lying?

handsomeRob
08-02-2005, 04:07 PM
a blood python that is of the length you stated should be a lot bigger than a mouse. is there any way you can post a pic of it to let us know exactly what size it is?

dragonblood105
08-02-2005, 07:51 PM
no, not a BLOOD python, i said BALL python. ya, i'll post a pic of him as soon as i get them developed, shoodnt b long, but can u mayb estimate tha size mouse a snake thats 1ft 7in shood have, wen hes balled up hes about tha size of tha palm of ur hand. I got him a large hopper 2day and it seemed 2 big, so i tryed 2 smaller 1s that r about tha size of ur thumb nail, he just looked at them and turned away, or is he mayb not eating cause hes sick from regurgitating tha other mouse. newayz, ill get a pic up of him as soon as i can.

Karen Hulvey
08-02-2005, 08:39 PM
Here's a picture of one of my baby balls. She is approx. 1'7", just like yours. She is eating 1 large mouse or a big fuzzy rat a week. I have that tape measure pulled out to exactly 1'7".

You need to feed your snake smaller prey items until it stops throwing up. A larger prey item at this time will make the regurgitation problem worse. I had a sand boa that started regurging right after she gave birth. I used a product called NutriBac. It is a powder that the prey item is coated with. I used that stuff for a couple of feedings and she is back to normal now.