PDA

View Full Version : UPS Completes Acquisition of Overnite

DragonCharm
08-09-2005, 05:22 PM
This might be of interest to those shipping large bulky items such as glass tanks or cage racks......

========================================

UPS Completes Acquisition of Overnite

Press Release

ATLANTA, Aug. 5, 2005 – UPS (NYSE:UPS) today announced it has completed the acquisition of Overnite Corporation (NASDAQ: OVNT) for US$43.25 per share, or approximately US$1.25 billion in an all-cash transaction.

Overnite shareholders approved the transaction yesterday. Based in Richmond, Va., Overnite reported net income of US$63.3 million in 2004 on revenue of US$1.65 billion. The carrier serves more than 60,000 customers in the less-than-truckload (LTL) and truckload (TL) segments. It has operations in the U.S., Canada, Mexico, Puerto Rico, Guam and the U.S. Virgin Islands.

"UPS welcomes the employees of Overnite as members of the team," said Mike Eskew, UPS chairman and CEO. "A top U.S. motor freight carrier is now a UPS company. Our customers will benefit since we can provide the broadest portfolio of transportation and logistics services to better serve their needs.

"Overnite has an extensive transportation network, a strong focus on operational efficiency and flexibility and a good mix of large- and middle-market customers," Eskew continued. "Additionally, Overnite has a strong management team that will continue to run the business."

UPS is the world's largest package delivery company and a global leader in supply chain services, offering an extensive range of options for synchronizing the movement of goods, information and funds. Headquartered in Atlanta, Ga., UPS serves more than 200 countries and territories worldwide. UPS's stock trades on the New York Stock Exchange (UPS) and the company can be found on the Web at UPS.com.

# # #

Except for historical information contained herein, the statements made in this release constitute forward-looking statements within the meaning of Section 27A of the Securities Act of 1933 and Section 21E of the Securities Exchange Act of 1934. Such forward-looking statements, including statements regarding the intent, belief or current expectations of UPS and its management regarding the company's strategic directions, prospects and future results, involve certain risks and uncertainties. Certain factors may cause actual results to differ materially from those contained in the forward-looking statements, including economic and other conditions in the markets in which we operate, governmental regulations, our competitive environment, strikes, work stoppages and slowdowns, increases in aviation and motor fuel prices, cyclical and seasonal fluctuations in our operating results, and other risks discussed in the company's Form 10-K and other filings with the Securities and Exchange Commission, which discussions are incorporated herein by reference.

Junkyard
08-09-2005, 06:01 PM
That is very wonderful, but all I have to say about UPS right now is Pblbthsspppsbbslst, I will start using them once they stop kicking my door(literally) and dropping my packages on their sides.

Matt Haines
08-09-2005, 07:03 PM
They kick your door? Heck, they don't even do that here. They just drop the package near the vicinity of the door and run away. I am lucky in that I am usually checking for the packages every 30 minutes or so.

WebSlave
08-09-2005, 07:20 PM
I heard a rumor from someone that FedEx bought UPS. They are going to name the new merged company as:

FedUp

:rofl:

Junkyard
08-09-2005, 09:49 PM
They kick your door? Heck, they don't even do that here. They just drop the package near the vicinity of the door and run away. I am lucky in that I am usually checking for the packages every 30 minutes or so.

Yes they do kick our door. I now do not do business with people who ship only UPS. We cannot trust them, my last package a Macklots was killed by them, they said they stopped by at 9:15am, then they came back at 4:50pm and left the package at our door. After waiting over 7 hours for them to show up we had to leave and came back at 6pm and found a dead snake. We can hear their trucks and them walking up to our door, also they have never been to our place before 10:30am to deliver a package.

Of course one must ask, if the package is to be delivered by 10:30am then why not drop it off at 9:15am instead of letting it cook in their truck all afternoon and then come back and leave it at the door.

The FedEx deliverers are much nicer here. I had a snake shipped through them. The guy shipping the snake just messed up my address and phone number, so I called him, then he called FedEx. He told the manager of FedEx he shipped a snake. So the manager held the snake in his own office to keep it in good temps until I picked it up the next day. The manager was just cool about it and never said anything to anyone(he must be a reptile man) That is why I prefer FedEx over UPS down here.

Matt Haines
08-09-2005, 11:36 PM
Haven't had a case that bad but we have had them stop around 11:45 and they enter it into the computer as them being here by 10:30. Bunch of lying s.o.b.'s

DragonCharm
08-10-2005, 10:04 AM
Haven't had a case that bad but we have had them stop around 11:45 and they enter it into the computer as them being here by 10:30. Bunch of lying s.o.b.'s
Happened to me a couple times in the past week, as recent as yesterday. Dragon got there at 4:45, was guaranteed by 4:30.......logged into the computer at 4:30 on the dot. Now what I love is this, I shipped this Priority Overnight and because its a remote location they change the guarantee to whatever they feel like. WTF is that? Did I not pay for 10:30 in the morning, might as well have paid standard and saved some cash as it didn't even make the standard cutoff. :hot: