PDA

View Full Version : Importing/Exporting Appendix II Listed Animals...

skycock
08-24-2005, 01:26 PM
I know the laws regarding these animals as stated on the CITES website, but has anyone had any actually accounts on shipping Appendix II listed animals overseas? Are there any sub-laws that are not as easy to find? Thanks-
Trey

Jungle Gems
08-25-2005, 02:20 PM
http://www.faunaclassifieds.com/forums/showthread.php?t=71163

...this recent BOI thread may not completely answer your question, but may be helpful and informative none-the-less. Good luck! :)

dirty_harry
03-28-2006, 11:22 AM
recently, i have been on the phone with the FWS more than I'm willing to admit to. I am also planning on going to Ghana in about a year, so if you think the federal government is confusing, try a foreign country! Anyway, the gist of it is you either need to be a licensed CITES exporter, or you need to have a licensed CITES exporter to ship it for you. If you want to get the license, its $100, and if i remember correctly, it should be form 3-200-3. If you need a license in your current state to own the animal(s) you have, you will need to provide a copy of that when you submit for the export license. Next you will need a vet certification that the animal is outwardly healthy and appears free of parasites (regular letterhead with contact number are OK, but copies of lab work will make life easier.) Additionally, if the animal was CBB, this will need to be documented, and will make shipment MUCH easier. The next headache is that you have to figure out what the laws and regulations are for the place you are sending the animal to. Generally speaking, the person receiving the animal(s) will need to fill out the overseas equivalent of the FWS's 3-177 form and there may or may not be other forms in the destination country. Other than that the only real requirements are typically (but not always in other countries) that a vet is present to verify your vets findings that the animals are outwardly healthy, the local customs and/or local wildlife services may decide to inspect the shipment, and finally there is usually an inspection fee (in the US it is $55 if i remember correctly) and there may be duties to be paid. In short- YES, it would probably be easier to launch a nuclear missile, but if you want to be 100% legal that is the way to do this.

Please keep in mind that this is a generalization, but as a rule, the majority of the paperwork is the exporter's responsibility. Foreign rules and regulations can be much easier or exceptionally worse. If you are looking to do this full time or more frequently, I would strongly suggest getting contacts at the FWS and retaining a qualified attorney. take care!