PDA

View Full Version : Impossible to find someone who will ship

pogonadragon
08-25-2005, 11:08 PM
I don't know what's going on, but literally every time I contact UPS or FedEx, I get told basically I can't get them to ship my baby beardies if/when I find them new homes...
I emailed the Lenny guy from FedEx and literally, he told me as long as it's business to business shipping, I could call some number and then I could get set up to ship... I'm a private breeder that will be shipping to private parties... and UPS's list of lizards they will ship (they said to me if the animal isn't on the list it won't be shippable) doesn't include beardies... I hope I'm just completely misunderstanding everyone because this is getting really frusterating. Anyone have any advice?

thanks.

CJBianco
08-26-2005, 08:34 AM
Lenny is correct. You may apply for a waiver that lets you ship any reptile or amphibian Priority Overnight business to business. You may also have the package held at the customer's nearest FedEx station for pickup.

What exactly is the problem?

Chris

joeken
08-26-2005, 05:04 PM
dhl will ship it express overnight .you set up an account and ask for the small animal agreement.you check off lizards(non venomous) and your good to go.
Then all you do is call them and they come and pick it up.they do have a maximum liability of 100 dollars.and you have to agree with all there mumbo jumbo.

joeken
08-26-2005, 05:05 PM
and you can ship house to house.

SPJ
08-26-2005, 06:20 PM
DHL yanked that agreement on me at the beginning of the year. They claim they no longer deal with shipping live animals.
The driver showed up to pick up a box, saw that it was marked, and refused to take it. When I called to complain, I was told too bad. They will no longer allow me to ship.

I went with Fed Ex after that.

hhmoore
08-27-2005, 09:24 AM
By policy, DHL no longer accepts shipments of live animals. Granted, this policy is applied as consistently as UPS's - in that some areas/shops will, some won't. Regardless, given my experiences with them (4 out of 6 boxes misdelivered, with 2 deaths resultant from the delays), I recommend AGAINST using them...even if they don't refuse the package. One other thing to consider (and this is pretty uniform with all 3 carriers), if at any point along the way they decide/discover that the contents are in violation of their TOS, they may abort the shipment (not deliver it to the addressee, or back to the shipper). Since you have a website you sell through (operating as a business), why not set up an account with FedEx, get your shipping waiver, and request that people pick up at local FedEx station (since you mentioned the business to business stipulation)

joeken
08-27-2005, 06:13 PM
i never used dhl but they approved me for live shipping on monday so i they just drop people when ever they choose.

Alias47
08-29-2005, 03:58 PM
I have never had a problem with FedEx....
Regardless of the status of the receiving person (re: business or personal).

bgexotics
08-30-2005, 10:49 AM
I use UPS for my frogs and have never had a problem. Fed Ex has also been good for me, but UPS is a little cheaper. I create my shipping labels online and drop them off at a mailing center in the evenings to minimize the amount of time they spend in a box. I clearly label the box "Live Amphibians" and to keep the package cool or warm depending on the conditions. I also list the Latin name for whatever species are in the the box to comply with the Lacey Act. I obviously don't write "Poison frogs" on the label though, LOL.

pogonadragon
08-30-2005, 04:22 PM
Thanks everyone for your replies/help! My husband set up a business account online with FedEx last week so now I am going to ask him about the rest of the stuff we have to do (he is really good with reading directions and I'm not)...
Yeah, as far as I've encountered even at the 1800 number level the people from BOTH FedEx and UPS said nope to Bearded dragons (FedEx said no live anything period)... that's why I was getting frusterated, because when the employees can't even help even though you know they are wrong it's a little disheartening.

KathyLove
08-30-2005, 05:22 PM
All of the big companies like FedEx have lots of employees who don't seem to know everything the company does, especially if it is anything out of the ordinary. The trick is to get your own rep who will look it up for you and get the reptile waiver contract.

You should read the whole thread on getting FedEx certified. Once you sound like you know what you are talking about, and tell them the contract exists in a matter of fact way, and throw out the right names (see the other thread), then they treat you differently. Remember, it is always easier for them to just say "no" if it is something they haven't dealt with before and don't want to bother to figure it out. But if you have specific info about the request, they are forced to deal with it.

If you can't get your own rep right away, then the person you already talked to will probably help point you in the right direction. I have a great rep and he said he will be happy to help any new reptile shippers get started. So if you can't get anywhere, email me and I will give you his name.

Good luck!