PDA

View Full Version : Birth Defect?

cat0623
08-27-2005, 10:46 PM
My son just got a new ball python. I went with him to pick one up, and the one that he insisted on, had a bump in the tail. I really didn't think much about it, but someone mentioned to me the other day, that they had one that had such a "defect", and it died from it. Anyone hear anything about this? Or should I give him "up front....bad news"? Thanks :detonate:

Junkyard
08-28-2005, 01:42 PM
Do you have pictures we can see? Will help better understand the defect. If it is life threatening then you may want to return it for a refund or another one.

DeVackHerps
08-28-2005, 02:38 PM
it also can be a wound from an old rodent bite. but could be something along the lines of it breaking a bone along the line of its life and healed that way. but keep close check of it. if you see the snake having trouble because of it go to a vet or get a refund form the breeder/store where you got it from. by the way i saw 2 adult BP's with bumps on them and scars and that where so skinny i could get 2 of my fingers around them in the O shape. and they where adults!!. so i got them from the guy and now there doing fine. alittle fiesty lol i get bit every time i handle or feed. but small price to pay for helping and saving there life. there twice as fat as they where when i got them and twice as mean. well good luck with yours.

cat0623
08-28-2005, 06:30 PM
It is not a skin bump, but skeletal. In a picture, no one would be able to see it. I am hoping it to be a fracture from a while ago, that would at least help me not worry, somewhat. He has no scarring, so it is probably not a bite. Thanks for replying guys.

jglass38
08-28-2005, 09:11 PM
Does it bother him when you push on it? If not, I would expect that it is nothing but you should probably have a reptile vet check him just in case. I have a Brazilian Rainbow Boa with a bump right near the end of his tail and it is nothing. Some sort of minor trauma that happened at some point or he was born with it.

cat0623
08-28-2005, 09:49 PM
Does it bother him when you push on it?

Nope!! If it doesn't bother him, then it shouldn't bother me. Right? :hehe:

bluefin
09-02-2005, 07:01 AM
i thnik it is safe and nothing will happen to your child
rest assured let him enjoy his new pet
thanks