PDA

View Full Version : Burmese Python Caging Question

Rakshasanyc
09-21-2005, 01:33 PM
For now, I keep my female albino Burm Lakshmi in a 4' x 2' x 17.5" expandable Boaphile plastics cage. She is about 6.5' long and growing ... and I do mean GROWING. :eek2:

I'm thinking about buying an expansion for the cage. If I extend it 6' or 8' it will be either 10' x 2' x 17.5" or 12' x 2' x 17.5". While the length should be sufficient for years to come I have some concerns about the depth. She's not particularly heavy-bodied at present, but I know that as they get older Burms can gain girth as well as length.

Would I be better off biting the bullet right now and getting a custom-built cage for her in 8' x 4' x 2' or something similar? Or will an expanded version of the present cage do? As far as building my own goes, I am at two with woodworking: I'd probably have to hire someone else to do it. However, I'm not sure that the final cost would be that much greater than the cost of an expansion unit.... and unless her growth spurt takes her into 16' + territory I'd probably be able to use the cage for a good long while.

Junkyard
09-21-2005, 01:42 PM
For a full size Burm a 2 foot depth would be a tight squeeze, she will deffinately be happier in a bigger home. When she wants to curl up she will not be able to do so:

http://www.mccarthyboas.com/bigburmbaby.jpg

http://www.mccarthyboas.com/Anastacia092002.jpg

Oh heck:

http://www.mccarthyboas.com/BigSnake2.html

Rakshasanyc
09-21-2005, 01:55 PM
Thanks for the pictures. I can see that she's going to need a wider cage...

*sigh*

Next question: any recommendations for cage builders in the Tristate (NY/NJ/CT) area?

Jim O
09-21-2005, 02:52 PM
Umm...is it legal to keep Burms in Brokklyn, NY?

Rakshasanyc
09-21-2005, 03:32 PM
Umm...is it legal to keep Burms in Brokklyn, NY?

Check your private messages...

Chris_Harper2
09-21-2005, 04:32 PM
I vote for getting/building a cage with more depth, especially since the actual inside depth of Boaphiles is under 24". At least that's what I've been told.

But when you say 8' x 4' x 2', do you mean a cage that is 4' front-to-back? I assume you do.

That is an unsafe situation as you'll likely have to stick your head/torso into the cage to reach the snake. This is how a lot of bad food response bites happen. And how would you fit a cage that large into your home?

Even if this is not an issue, a 4' deep cage is still hard to clean. Keep in mind the actual door opening will be less than 2' since it will need a frame. That won't be a comfortable gap to climb through to clean that back edge of the cage.

For all of the above reasons I would limit the depth of the cage to 30". Maybe a bit more, depeding on your personal preference.

Regarding paying for a custom cage, keep in mind that you can always pay for the woodworking portions and then do the finishing/sealing yourself. I have heard of some people getting cages for very reasonable prices this way. But you'll have to shop around.

There is a lot of Russian Birch plywood in the states right now for very reasonable prices. It comes in 5' x 5' sheets (vs. the typical 4' x 8') so it would be very easy to build two cages at 5' x 30" x 2' that could be bolted together. You could just have one built for now. 5' x 30" of floor area is considerably more than your current Boaphile and should get you buy for a while.