PDA

View Full Version : Household items for cleaning Vivarium furniture?

kzooherpetoculturist
09-29-2005, 02:46 PM
i'm setting up my vivarium or whatever ya want to call it and i'm wondering if there are any household products i can use to clean and disinfect the items i'm putting in there before i put my snake in. i've seen zoo med makes some products and i've heard of other cleaning and disinfectant products but no stores here carry them and time is of the essence.

any help is greatly appreciated!

Junkyard
09-29-2005, 04:36 PM
Bleach and lots water works really well. Make sure the stuff is completely dry before adding your snake.

kzooherpetoculturist
09-29-2005, 04:53 PM
thanks, that's what i was thinking too.... mild bleach/water combo then rinsing with a lot of water.

Junkyard
09-29-2005, 05:04 PM
You got it, I use bleach when I am out of my normal dissinfectant. I like to use Healthy Habitat by Natural Chemistry, I buy it online, about $50 a gallon. The stuff works great and it is safe for reptiles.Their Reptile Relief is a great product for mites and ticks, also about $50 a gallon, though yu can buy it in spray bottles for $8.

What kind of snake is this for?

coyote
09-30-2005, 02:00 AM
I usually add just a smidge of dish soap to the dilute bleach solution. The soap acts as a surfactant, that is it breaks the bond bacteria has to the surface and enables them to be rinsed away.

kzooherpetoculturist
09-30-2005, 08:30 AM
thanks guys, i used a small amount of bleach with some hot water and antibacterial soap. then i rinsed/rescrubbed with a ton of water.

the snake is a spotted python from ben siegel.

Junkyard
10-01-2005, 03:19 PM
I like those spotted pythons. They are a lot of fun. Good luck with it.

handsomeRob
10-08-2005, 05:02 PM
i use a 5% ammonia solution (thats 5% ammonia 95% water to those unsure)