PDA

View Full Version : Shipping a rescue boa

SatanicIntention
10-03-2005, 12:28 AM
I would greatly appreciate any advice on this matter. Thank you in advance.

On to the matter at hand-
I have a good friend in Michigan who is currently fostering a 5 1/2ft, 10lb., male common boa for me. He was rescued from an owner who really did not have much of a clue on the proper care of this species and, as a result, this boa was surrendered over with a burn from his chin all the way down to his vent. This has since healed and he is doing quite well.

Since the foster cannot keep this snake, I agreed to take him. I live in Waco, Texas, and she lives in the boonies of Michigan.

Our dilemma-
To get the boa safely and inexpensively(under $100) to Texas from Michigan.

So, I am wondering, what would be the best way to go about this? Sign up for Fedex and ship overnight? Ship through Delta Dash? Also, if there is anyone in the Michigan area(specifically: area code 49712), who would be willing to help ship this boa for us, that would be greatly appreciated. My friend, the foster mom, lives about 2 hours away from Alex Hue, but he told her that a boa of this size would need to be shipped through Delta Dash. Delta only ships to Dallas, and the way gas prices are now, I can't afford a 4 hour round trip in my gas guzzler, plus the cost of shipping the snake.

If I can get this snake shipped to my door, or at least to our local airport, it would be a life saver. This sweet snake needs his final home, and I just want to be able to get him here safely.

Thanks again.

DAND
10-03-2005, 05:20 AM
You may try and see if there is someone around that is Fed Ex certified to ship the snake to you. While Delta would be a good choice, the distance to the airport is a concern. I have received larger snakes via Fed Ex. Make sure it is sent Express (by 10:30 am arrival) so to minimize the amount of time in transit.

Casey Hulse
10-03-2005, 08:10 AM
does she live? I am 49097, and am Fed Ex certified.
I used to package the animals that I sent very securely, in insulated boxes, then take them to a UPS hub, I do not think they ever asked me what I was shipping, but the box says perishable. You do have to be careful when shipping to agricultural states like Calif. because they WILL open the box if it says perishable and nothing else. It will probably cost $80 or so to ship door to door.
ps, we will be at the Taylor show this Sat.

SatanicIntention
10-04-2005, 02:20 PM
Thank ya'll very much. Jo, the foster mom, should be getting everything set up to bring him to the Kalamazoo show in November and have Casey ship him via Fedex Priority Overnight. It's still going to be fairly hot here in Texas, at least in Waco, so no worries about shipping him this late in the year on my end. I don't know how it is up there in early November, but hopefully there will be a good day the week after the show that Mr. Hulse can ship the boa.

Thank you everyone for your suggestions. Here's to hoping it goes without a hitch :)

Casey Hulse
10-04-2005, 03:33 PM
I will ship only when the weather permits. I have room to house the boa for a while if needed. Up here in Michigan in November it may be 75 on Monday, and 30 degrees and snowing Tuesday.