PDA

View Full Version : Snakebite at school may cost teen's arm

Bringerofdoom
10-23-2005, 05:54 PM
POTTSTOWN, Pennsylvania (AP) -- A 14-year-old girl may lose her arm after being bitten by a poisonous copperhead snake at school, authorities said.

The snake was caught in Valley Forge by a 17-year-old male student, who took it in a shoebox to a drama club gathering at St. Pius X High School on Friday, Lower Pottsgrove Police Chief Ray Bechtel said.

No regular classes were held that day, which was designated for staff development.

The boy was showing the reptile to other students when it bit the girl's finger, Bechtel said.

The girl, whose name was not released by police, apparently threw the snake across the room and the boy threw it outside. The snake was not found, but authorities were able to identify it because the boy photographed it with his camera cellphone, said Bechtel.

The victim was treated at Pottstown Memorial Medical Center about 45 minutes after being bitten, he said.

"The doctors said if it had been a half-hour longer she would likely have been dead," said Bechtel.

However, police said she could still lose her arm.

Police did not have an update on the girl's condition Sunday. She had been in very serious condition at Hershey Medical Center.

No charges were filed but police said they were investigating.

Copperhead snake bites are typically not fatal but are extremely painful and may cause extensive scarring and loss of limb use, according to the North Carolina Cooperative Extension of North Carolina State University.

http://www.cnn.com/2005/US/10/23/school.snakebite.ap/index.html

SPJ
10-23-2005, 08:59 PM
"The doctors said if it had been a half-hour longer she would likely have been dead," said Bechtel.
Unless she had a reaction, a death from a bite of this type of snake will not kill you in 90 minutes.

However, police said she could still lose her arm.
The hospital probably applied a pressure bandage. I went in for a copperhead bite and literally had to hit the doctor to get him to NOT put on a pressure bandage.

Another article, poorly written.
I love how the picture they use is of a burmese python.
Idiots.

I hope the girl is OK but based upon my experience with a copperhead bite and the hospital protocol that completely went against what I was trying to explain, they may do more damage to the girls arm than the snake venom.

Clay Davenport
10-24-2005, 12:22 AM
There may at some point in history been a fatality from a copperhead, but I've never heard of one.
Unless as Steve suggested, the hospital did something to make matters significantly worse, or she has a bad allergic reaction, the girl's arm is in no danger. Amputation is rare in this country even with highly venomous exotics. A copperhead is a real lightweight in the hot department.
That's the sensational media hype for you though.