PDA

View Full Version : My Simple Savanna

coyote
10-24-2005, 11:23 PM
My Savanna is a very simple creature. He is basically concerned with 4 things. Eating, sleeping, being defensive and pooping. These are what fill his days.

I just tossed him a mouse. He knows it's there, he can smell it. Tongue is flicking away, nose is bumping against the glass, head is moving from side to side. He's excited. He's looking.

As soon as he figures out that he's standing on the dmn thing he can eat it.

This is intellectual challenge for my savanna.

He's a hoot.

hhmoore
10-25-2005, 01:38 AM
lol, nobody ever said they were smart

VenomX02
10-25-2005, 08:33 PM
:>off_to<: lol, Thats true, mines about the same, although i have another question, ive been feeding mine, live mice, baby rats, dusted crickets, although my question is i have recently bought a small colony of mad. hissin roaches, to hopefully breed, and maintain and steady supply of roaches for my moniters, im wondering if roaches are a good idea to feed them? and if so has anyone else tried it?, i ahvnt gave him one yet , wanted to establish the colony well before i feed out of it, but any information on people who have used roaches for part of the diet please let me know, any information will be greatly appreciated. :>off_to<:

coyote
10-25-2005, 11:35 PM
I only feed f/t mice, rats and chicks. I bet roaches would be a fine addition to the diet. Personally I loathe the things. If they were the best and most nutritious insect food available none of my animals would get any. I won't have roaches of any kind in my house. They absolutely give me the heebie jeebies. Creepy little @#&*!

Good luck with your roach ranching.

I do like to feed him crickets, even though he can eat quite a few at a sitting. Running around trying to catch them is one of the few ways I can be sure that he gets exercise. I call it behavior enrichment.

How do I know my savanna is a male, (some may wonder)? Because he used to flash me regularly. The shameless little hisser. He used to squirt poop on me too. Both of these "greetings" have ceased as of several months ago now. It's a good thing.

hhmoore
10-26-2005, 08:06 AM
I'm sure they would work out fine & and catching little crunchies is very exciting for them. Even large monitors will eat insects (unless they get so fat they can't catch them)...the only real problem is that it takes so many of them to satisfy. AND the bugs just don't seem to last as long (kinda like the stories about Chinese food: you can gorge yourself on it, and the next thing you know your hungry again).

InFocus
10-28-2005, 11:12 AM
Wow, your Savannah let the mouse actually hit the floor? The only thing that gets past my savannah's to the floor is crickets. Occasionally when I feed them peeps they hit the floor for a second before the monitor hits them but mice always get met in mid air!

hhmoore
10-28-2005, 11:57 AM
Wow, your Savannah let the mouse actually hit the floor? The only thing that gets past my savannah's to the floor is crickets. Occasionally when I feed them peeps they hit the floor for a second before the monitor hits them but mice always get met in mid air!
you feed your savannahs those little marshmallow things? (j/k)when I was keeping monitors, the smaller ones would see me feeding things and be standing on their hind legs when I opened there enclosures...no need to worry about presentation, lol. *GULP*