PDA

View Full Version : how long betw. blue eye and shed?

geckogrl6
10-26-2005, 04:53 PM
My JCP eyes went blue right after I fed him over the weekend. I have been wetting his paper towels daily, but he has not shed yet. He has a large water bowl, but being as he is 4ft it is not big enough for a whole body soak. He has not been sitting in or over it. Has not shed yet, and is not doing any rubbing. How long should I wait before I have to soak him? Should I add a moist tupperware hide?

Jim O
10-26-2005, 04:59 PM
His eyes will clear first, and then he will shed in another day or two. As long as he is not having a problem I wouldn't worry about it.

Karen Hulvey
10-26-2005, 10:07 PM
I have been wetting his paper towels daily, You aren't keeping his bedding wet all the time are you? Wet bedding will cause him to get water blisters. I would give him a water dish large enough for him to submerge in as you suggested that your water dish isn't large enough.

geckogrl6
10-27-2005, 01:43 AM
thanks. His eyes are very clear today. I will keep watching. The paper towels dry in under 1/2 hour each time. I would like to give him a bigger bowl, but at his size, it would take up the whole cool side of his 20Long. Does he need a bigger tank? I have a 55 for him, but the guy I got it from said that was too big.

rstymtlhd
10-27-2005, 04:28 PM
the length of the cage should long enough for at least 3/4 of the body to stretch out, height is not all that important. The only boids i keep in encloseres that size are under 36 inches long. Once they reach this size i move them to a 48 inch x 24-30 inch cage and in most cases for boas you may never need another cage but pythons depending on type will probably have to go up one more size 96x36x18 is big enough for just about any type of python u have, including retics
:cool:

geckogrl6
10-29-2005, 12:06 AM
so is there such a thing as too big? or should I move him to the 55, which is 48x12x24. (once the baby leos are evacuated, lol)

hhmoore
10-31-2005, 06:31 AM
There is such a thing as "too big" - if you are dealing with hatchlings or working with stressed/nonfeeding specimens. your 55 gal is not too big (IMO) for a 4ft carpet. As for the shedding cycles, as you get used to your snake you will recognize the approach of a shed...many of my carpets and diamonds do not go "blue", but their bellies get a slightly milky hue that is easily discernible. another clue can be a dulling or darkening of colors. Not eating is a fairly common signal, but some snakes will regularly eat in shed (even if fully opaque)...but, obviously, if you are defrosting feeders, it is nice to know beforehand.