PDA

View Full Version : New Uromastyx Owner needs info

wesleyscrivner
10-27-2005, 01:05 PM
I researched quite a bit on the care of the Mali before I purchased one. I purchased an adult. If he IS full grown he is a small one. He is about 11-12 inches long. From all the info I found on the web I never found anything about how they normally act when first placed in a new environment. My Mali burrowed under one of the rocks I provided for him... but he will not hardly come out. I have to get him out or he will stay there all day. I finally placed the rock off of the spacer rocks (I used smaller rocks to keep the larger rock from settling on top of him when he burrows) and just placed it directly on the bottom of the tank. Was that the best thing to do until he is used to the new environment? I am afraid that he will get too cold if he stays under the rocks all the time. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Karen Hulvey
10-27-2005, 08:35 PM
It may take him a couple of days before he ventures out to look his new home over.

You're right, any rock that is sitting on the sand that he can burrow under can and will collapse on him and kill him. I had this happen to a hatchling bearded dragon. (I have to learn the hard way!)

You mention that you're afraid he will get too cold. If your cage is too cold, low 70's on the cool side and at night is the lowest I'd go, you can use a red lightbulb to heat the cage up at night. Use a thermometer or a temp gun to see exactly what his temps are, don't guess.

He needs an extremely hot basking area, around 110°-130° with a thermal gradient down to around 85° for the cool side of the cage during the day. I have my lights on timers 12 hours on, 12 off. These animals like it hot, hot, hot. He will eat little or even not at all if his basking area is only around 90°.

Next thing, he does not need to have water in his cage. Too much humidity will cause tail rot. If this animal does not eat any leafy greens in a week, I would soak him in some lukewarm water for about 10 minutes so he can rehydrate himself. But I feel that if you get his daytime temps right, he will eat. I have dealt with tons of WC Malis and have not had a problem with a single one.

I have also found that they like the Rep-Cal tortoise food mixed with their veggies. They love it.

Good luck w/your Mali and post pics of you can.

wesleyscrivner
10-28-2005, 11:13 AM
Thanks for the info. I am awaiting the thermometers to come in. I had to order them from petco.com because the store did not have them when I purchased my Mali (I think I will name him Gojirra). Right now I am going by a sticker thermometer that is on the tank from when it held fish. I know this thermometer is off but its better than guesswork. During the day the thermometer reads high 70's-low 80's and at night it reads low mid 60's, this is all on the lower temp end. I am unsure what the temp is in the basking area. I think I may move the basking area to the opposite end so I can see what the temp is getting up to.

Photos should now be attatched.

If anyone wants to see him via webcam just add "wesleyscrivner" to your yahoo messenger.

wesleyscrivner
10-28-2005, 11:27 AM
Now the photos are attatched.

Karen Hulvey
10-28-2005, 10:49 PM
Gojirra is a cutie. How exactly do you pronounce his name? (phonics helps me) :)

Is he eating yet?

I'd get those nighttime temps up to the low 70's. The low 60's is too cold for them. You can lay any thermometer direclty under his basking light for a minute to see what the temp is. Just don't leave it there longer than a minute because if you have the correct temp, the plastic thermometers tend to melt.

Here's a pic of my Moroccan uro, Pudgepot, Pudge for short.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v381/catsz99/6-25-05Pudgepot.jpg