PDA

View Full Version : Healthy Burmese dies... Bad rat???

Ndecent240
10-30-2005, 11:01 PM
I just lost my 9' Burmese. She was perfectly healthy, eating regular, soaking in her water, active, great temperament and all. I fed her a large rat from a locally owned (very reputable, not a chain) pet store here in town, and she died three days later. Size was not a problem, no lumps in her, it was the same size she's been eating.

I went to the pet store to get crickets this weekend, and happened to walk in the back room where the mice, rats, and crickets are kept. On the rat's cages, there was a sign that said "don't keep too many rats together at a time, they've been getting sick". It's kind of a coincidence that this comes up as soon as my burm dies after eating one of their rats. I feel I should somehow mention to them that I think this may be the cause of my snake's death.

What kind of disease could have killed her from a "bad rat" as some put it? Also, should I hold them accountable for my snake's death?

Thanks for any input you guys might have!!!!!!!

Ravenspirit
10-31-2005, 09:32 AM
I'd suggest you take your snake to a local vet and have them do a necropsy to find the actual cause of death.

Junkyard
10-31-2005, 01:24 PM
I had a similar incident happen to me. My het snow boa died 2 days after eating a mouse. I informed the store and they were having problems with their rodents getting sick and dying within the days my boa died. Not much any of us can do, they switched suppliers give me a discount, and I now raise my own rodents. Good luck, sorry about your loss.

Bighaze
10-31-2005, 10:00 PM
"and I now raise my own rodents"

Thats it!

I had something like that happen to a friend, Ever since then I just breed my own. It's easier, cheaper, and for me, more fun to just breed your own rats.

But as said above you should have a necropsy done, just in case it's something else.

Sorry to hear of your loss.

Karen Hulvey
10-31-2005, 11:15 PM
I don't know of any mammalian diseases that can be transferred to a reptile.

If the rat had previously ate something bad such as rat poison that could be transferred to your snake and kill it.

If the shop was treating the rats with some form of medication, that could kill your snake.

It could also be any one of a million different things. Without a necropsy, you're just guessing as to why it died. I would get a necropsy and go from there.

I am sorry your pet died. It's tough especially when you have no idea why it died.