PDA

View Full Version : Shipping reptiles internationally..

avd88
12-20-2005, 04:17 AM
What do you need, or what do you need to do to shipp reptiles internationally, lets say mexico/us, us/mexico.

Thnx :)

Junkyard
12-20-2005, 11:35 AM
Money. Or a fast car(unless you drive though San Diego)

Depends on how you are shipping, aircargo is probably best. You can get a hold of Delta Dash and they will come over and set you up with an account and all the info you need to ship reptiles. They are a legal way to ship. They will meet you and your reptiles, fill out necessary paperwork and get you on your way.

If the animal is on the endangered CITES list than you will need paperwork that goes along with the CITES. I do not know much about shipping CITES reptiles as I do not have any. Some CITES reptiles cannot be shipped out of state or country.

Delta Dash can ship overnight and same day. Though you are going to be on their schedule as to when you can ship. From what I understand they do ship internationally.

KathyLove
12-21-2005, 11:23 AM
You also need a US F&W Import / Export license. It is not difficult to get. Used to be $50 per year, now $100 per year. They also charge an inspection fee on all shipments (even if they don't look at it) of about $55, I think.

Many countries require a vet health cert. Be sure the vet has the correct international forms - many vets won't know anything abut that. Have your customer check to see if one is required in his country. And tell him it is his responsibility to determine what his country requires and to comply with what is needed. Make sure he understands that if it the shipment is confiscated in his country because he didn't have the proper paperwork there, it is his problem to take care of it. Some countries are easy, some are impossible. He can hire a local broker to take care of it for him if he is unsure.

You can also hire a US broker to do the paperwork, but you will still need to have the export license. Or you might be able to pay a herp dealer that normally exports to do it for you, and they may do it as their own shipment on their own license.

The above is for non protected, non CITES animals, such as corns. If they are on any kind of "list", it will be more complicated.

avd88
12-21-2005, 05:09 PM
Thanx kathy and junkyard, well to be more specific, Im talking about ball pythons, and I live in Mexico, Im mexican right now, but my father is a US citizen, can I still get the license, or I have to wait to become a US citizen?

KathyLove
12-21-2005, 08:46 PM
I believe your dad would have to get the license, or get somebody with a license to ship for him. But all pythons are CITES animals, so there are additional permits needed. I don't ship CITES herps, so can't give you details.

You have to check to see if Mexico has any regulations that you need to follow to import into that country.

It is somewhat complicated. If you haven't already bought the snakes, you might consider buying from a dealer or breeder who exports, and let them do the work.

PJCReptiles
01-05-2006, 02:17 PM
Hey thought I would say "THANK YOU!" I was asked to ship some baby boas to the UK and I was wondering how I was going to that and IF I should do it at all. Thank you Kathy Love and Micheal Shelton. Now I dont have ask on here...LOL.

PJ & Jay
PJCReptiles