PDA

View Full Version : URGENT-need some common sense advice on banana king

GuinnyOne
12-27-2005, 06:36 PM
I just now walked downstairs and found one of my hatchling banana kings on the floor. I walked over to my temporary homemade rack (I have a rack coming from Nature's Spirit that is due to be shipped tomorrow). Her bin was kitty-cornered. I don't know if it got bumped, or maybe one of the cats hooked a claw under the corner of it...suppose either is possible.

Anyway, thought for sure my king was dead. She didn't move when I picked her up, didn't strike. I just sat there and started to cry. She was kind of coiled and had her head buried in her body. I rolled her over in my hands and watched her. Well, I rubbed her chin since it was exposed and she flicked her tongue out. Rubbed her again, another tongue flick. So, she is alive.

I have checked her over pretty throughly. The cats definitely had her, but not for long..or else I would have just found pieces of her. She has a couple of skin punctures. I can move the skin over the area, and can not find any places where anything is deeper than just the surface skin.

I was thinking of swabbing the damaged areas of skin with chlorahexidine solution. I've put her back in her tub, but with duct tape so there will be no moving the tub unless I do it. She had a small T-Rex cobra heat mat under the back of the tub and she is on paper towels.

Should I swab the skin with chlorahexidine? I'm assuming the stillness is probably shock combined with "play dead" instinct. But what else can I do other than watch and wait?
Kelly

nicolai
12-27-2005, 08:14 PM
If i were you i would treat it with any of the OTC triple antibiotics from your local pharmacy.chlorhexidine is more of an antiseptic or disinfectant anti microbial product generally used primarily for disinfecting an area before surgery or dental work and such. A triple antibiotic will insure that the wound doesnt get infected and will speed up the healing time. Make sure to keep him warm and dry as a high humidity will cause futher problems.

nicolai
12-27-2005, 08:18 PM
Tommorow you may also want to check him for any signs of pressure or crushing injuries from being in the cats mouth. Just because the wounds arent deep doesnt mean the cat didnt clamp down hard on him.

GuinnyOne
12-27-2005, 10:02 PM
Thanks for the input, I'll use triple antibiotic. She does have a warm spot, but she is choosing not to use it. Not long after I posted, she was up and moving around normally again. I understand the crushing problem, but only mentioned the lack of deeper punctures to give an idea of what I was looking at. She actually looks really good. But being that it is a cat bite, I know her chances are much more slim. All I can do is take care of her and hope. kelly

GuinnyOne
12-28-2005, 12:41 AM
Just checked her over again. She is definately active, but a little subdued from her normal behavior. She is also due to eat, but I was going to wait to feed her.

How long should I wait to try to feed her?

And I'm going to call my vet tomorrow...hopefully he is there. What exactly could a vet even do for a hatchling kingsnake? Seems like giving her oral antibiotics would not only be stressful, but worse on her digestive tract. Most of the puctures have already closed up. One is a little bigger and a little deeper..

But really, what could a vet do with this? I'm probably looking at $100 minimum trip. And if they can't do anything, they can't.

I figured that there was no point to trying to get her in today. If she is going to make it through the night, she will. A vet won't be able to change that.

Any thoughts here would be greatly appreciated!!!

Any techs on the list? If you could let me know from a medical standpoint what kind of treatments there might be, I would sure appreciate it.

coyote
12-29-2005, 07:04 PM
Cat saliva is notorious for containing large numbers of infectious bacteria. The greatest risk from these small punctures is abscess. It is better if the punctures are not allowed to close over. This traps the bacteria under the skin and incubates the abscesses. Ideally, such wounds should be allowed to heal from the inside out. I recommend that you soak the snake in a weak iodine/Betadine solution (color of weak tea) every day that the punctures are closed. At least for the first few days. Then you can simply use a towel dampened in the solution to sponge the wounds. If necessary, scrape or rub off any scabs that form. A towel or gauze square works good for this. Then, once the wounds are open again apply the triple antibiotic ointment to each. Try to moosh some ointment into the wounds if possible.

Be careful not to rub so vigorously that you are bruising or abrading the tissue. Just gently enough to remove the scabs.

Hold off feeding while you are having to handle the snake everyday to treat it. I would guess that offering a meal after 5 days to a week of this should be OK. The snake does need the calories to heal.

It is also important to insure that the snake does not become chilled curing the healing process. But don't force high temps on it either. If you can up the ambient heat by 5 degrees that should be adequate.

GuinnyOne
12-29-2005, 09:59 PM
Hi Marjee, since I just read this response, I haven't tried the soaking yet. I understand completely what you are saying about the wounds. I will go do exactly as you say. However, I did get a tiny newborn pinky and gave it to the snake this afternoon. She didn't waste any time getting it down. She is moving back and forth, to and from her heated area. She is still on her paper towels. I will soak her in the morning (to allow a little time for digestion). I do have betadine solution. And I will look at the scabs more closely in the morning. Thank you so much for your advice. The smaller holes didn't scab over, but the skin pulled together over them. But I'll try to get those opened up to. Kelly

coyote
12-29-2005, 11:38 PM
All I think is needed is some good first aid. Systemic antibiotics should really be saved for serious injuries and infections because they cause undesirable affects that in themselves require treatment. I think your idea of using the probiotics is sound. I recommended them as a regular supplement (Ben Bac, Nutri Bac etc.).

eddie1976
12-30-2005, 12:13 AM
I am going to have to agree with both Coyote and Nicolai on this one. Both of their ideas are sound, and were actually recommended by my vet. I had a similar situation happen a few months ago with a butter stripe. The cats were essentially playing volleyball with the poor little girl. I took her immediately to my vet, who luckily is my wife, and we cleaned her up and gave her a couple of Radiographs just to make sure there were no broken bones..
I am glad to say she is doing fine and is eating and drinking. Those little snakes are amazingly resilient. And BTW I was informed that the little vet visit would have cost in the neighborhood of 100-200 depending on whether or not I had made an appointment or opted for an emergency appointment.
And I am happy that your little on seemed to be doing well.

Tim Cole
01-01-2006, 11:05 AM
You do not want to use over the counter ointment because it has a petroleum base. Use Panalog instead. Chlorehexidine does help skin puntures and abrasions heal faster.

mrwenninger
01-01-2006, 06:55 PM
Reptile pus is usually inspissated and does not drain well. If masses begin to form at the area where bite wounds were it would be a good idea to see your vet to have the abscesses curetted and begin systemic antibiotics. I have seen several cat bite victims develop septicemia. I usually lavage the area with chlorhexidine and begin antibiotics before further problems develop knowing that any bite wound is infected.
Michael Wenninger DVM

GuinnyOne
01-01-2006, 10:53 PM
Well, it has been 5 days now. There is no swelling at the injury sites. The snake is extremely active and hungry again already. I'm just keeping a close eye on her at this point.