PDA

View Full Version : How to herp in Kansas

cornchips
01-11-2006, 02:04 PM
Last year I found very little in the way of reptiles, a few garters and ringnecks.Caught a glimpse of some prairie skinks...I would really like to take my sons out and do this right..Does anyone have an idea what is the best time of day/night and what months are best? BTW I live in Central Kansas about 45min from Manhatten..

Any info on where to go(for example: near creeks or open praire ,dump sites etc?)
Thanks all...CRG

old guy
01-11-2006, 03:08 PM
about the end of May or depending on weather to around the first several weeks of June. May is the prime month though. You are about in the heart of where to look. The flint hills has a absolutely diverse species of reptiles. You need a hunting license of the state. Minors don't. You simply lifts rocks ( flat rocks are better ) to hunt for species . The better places are again the flint hills and the reservoir up there. I use to base Alma as my meeting point of looking south, north, east and west. You need to get permission to cross the fence lines from the ranchers out there. I have encountered very little venomous in the flint hills that consist of massasauga and copperheads. Copperheads are found normally in the creeky areas. May I suggest the Field guide titled " amphibians and reptiles in Kansas " by Joseph T. Collins. Hope this has or can help.

cornchips
01-12-2006, 06:46 PM
Thanks,I can go herping without a hunting license if I dont take any animals right? And if my 13yo is with me and finds something he wants to keep he could without me getting into trouble? He's really wanting a prairie skink, he had one for a year and let it go and has been bumming ever since.
What about going out at night? I want to regardless of reptiles just go out and see whats around...Thanks for your time..Cc

old guy
01-13-2006, 01:51 PM
I would ask a wildlife agent of your area to make sure that you don't need a hunting license. It is up in the air if you need one or not. If you " pursue " wildlife in any form or manner, you may need one. Or you can call the state wildlife agency at Pratt to find out. With a license, you are allowed up to 5 species per of any reptile not on/a state list. I could be wrong but the only lizard that i know that is on a list of Kansas is the horned lizard.

cornchips
01-13-2006, 07:57 PM
I cant get a license unless I go through hunters safety.I Dont want to do that...I think I will take my chances and call it hiking, or nature walking...My older son has a hunting license though, maybe I can convince him to go with me too...Thanks

sppeavy
01-14-2006, 02:04 AM
Hey there, I also live in Kansas. I am an hour out of Manhattan, but I still go there to find critters. On any given day, I can usually find milksnakes, black rats, plains rats, ringnecks, red-sided garters, yellow-bellied racers, speckled kings, prairie kings, collard lizards, great plains skinks, five-lined skinks, legless lizards, coal skinks, copperheads, massasaugas, and sometimes tiber rattlers if im lucky. The timbers are more to the east though. Shot me a email at the end of March and ill take you to some great spots. sppeavy@hotmail.com

cornchips
01-16-2006, 02:33 PM
that sounds great..I must not be looking in the right spots..I would love to see a legless lizard..