PDA

View Full Version : Lizards in PA

tandy4000
02-20-2006, 10:40 AM
I know its a little early to go herping in PA, but I figured I'd start getting ready.
So, does anyone have any tips on catching skinks around pittsburgh? I've been looking for about a year now and I cant find any. I also need a tip or two on finding fence lizards.
Last thing- are there any traps on the market that can catch snakes without harming them?

thanks

sppeavy
02-22-2006, 05:31 PM
:rolleyes: Hey there, I dont know your area very well, but I here there is a subspecies of Lacertid there. Im in Topeka, KS at the moment , and we have two subspecies around here. Supposedly Topeka and Pittsburg are the only areas for these species. I have Italian Wall lizards, and Green Lacertas here. I usually can find the wall lizards in residential areas. They have adapted to life in mulch beds. I would think it would be the same in your area. I usually look around churches and schoolyards when nobody is around of course. Skinks, you will most likely find flipping over logs and stones. Ask around about the wall lizards though, I have seen them out sunbathing here when the temps are only in the 60s. Hope I helped at all. Later

tandy4000
02-22-2006, 05:57 PM
Thanks for the advice,
I've tried what you said with the lizards in mulch beds, but I just cant seem to find them.
Skinks-do you know of any specific habitats (wetlands, dry forests, edges of meadows)?
thanks again

krloucks
02-28-2006, 09:12 PM
Italian wall lizards were found in Cincinatti and Philadelphia. The Philly population hasn't been seen in years, the Ohio population is still there.

sppeavy
03-01-2006, 04:06 AM
We have them all over the place here. They were a Washburn University study that got let free back in the 50s. Since then, they have thrived and are all over. They are not native, and they make awesome pets. They are very active and eat right from your hand. I was chasing a yound one last fall, and in mid chase, it stopped to catch and eat a cricket. If any of you want a few as pets, let me know. Ill just ask you pay for shipping. The population is through the roof here, on any given day, I can find 50 or so. I cant usually catch that many, but its fun to try. :uzi: