PDA

View Full Version : Do these collards look liek they might breed?

Robotchicken09
04-09-2006, 02:43 PM
http://s62.photobucket.com/albums/h119/Robotchicken09/
there are some pics of them there, also if oyu tell me fi there both male or both female i can catch one of the oposite sex....

Tere Salazar
04-09-2006, 03:24 PM
Your link isn't working. Can you post the pictures? I'm going to do a couple of searches and find out how to sex collareds.

Robotchicken09
04-09-2006, 03:38 PM
yeah, ok hold on

Robotchicken09
04-09-2006, 03:45 PM
heres one, its got orange spots and stripes all over it http://s62.photobucket.com/albums/h119/Robotchicken09/?action=view&current=4adf7817.jpg
http://s62.photobucket.com/albums/h119/Robotchicken09/?action=view&current=0a3446cc.jpg
http://s62.photobucket.com/albums/h119/Robotchicken09/?action=view&current=e93ddbc3.jpg

heres the other
http://s62.photobucket.com/albums/h119/Robotchicken09/?action=view&current=0aaa0df0.jpg
http://s62.photobucket.com/albums/h119/Robotchicken09/?action=view&current=5cd30cab.jpg
http://s62.photobucket.com/albums/h119/Robotchicken09/?action=view&current=451061d2.jpg
hes way to the right on that last one, thanks for any help
if there both the same sex i can go catch more and take more pics

Tere Salazar
04-09-2006, 04:10 PM
Well, as if you haven't figured it out, I'm no expert with Collared Lizards! I did run a couple of searches, and it would appear that the way Collareds are sexed is by color...males are bright colored, and females are tan or gray. The females should develop coral or orange colored spots during breeding season. The males will also have very bright colored beards, typically yellow or orange.

Robotchicken09
04-09-2006, 04:12 PM
ok, so i for sure have 1 female, i was pretty sure she was. now i need a male, im not sure if the other is a male, hes not that bright colored.

Robotchicken09
04-09-2006, 04:14 PM
im gunna go out and look for a few more...also does anybody know were a suitable spot to lay there eggs is?

Tere Salazar
04-09-2006, 04:15 PM
Check your PMs. I just sent you a link with all kinds of Collared info.

Robotchicken09
04-09-2006, 04:19 PM
ok thanks, also is there an edit button on this forum???

Tere Salazar
04-09-2006, 04:29 PM
Yup...at the bottom of each post, there is a button that says "Edit".

Robotchicken09
04-09-2006, 04:53 PM
i dont see it :\

Robotchicken09
04-09-2006, 05:56 PM
OK, i caught a male!! hes slightly larger than the females(ill up pics later) and i got bit by 1000 ants and almost dislocated my shoulder in the process, oh and i scraped a big patch a skin off my arm, but i got him. now what do i need to do to set up the cage for mating? i have 2 females and one larger male, any help would be appreciated.

coyote
04-09-2006, 06:02 PM
ok thanks, also is there an edit button on this forum???

The ability to edit your posts is a perk of paid membership.
You can enjoy this perk for a meagre donation of $10.

Robotchicken09
04-09-2006, 08:57 PM
yes of course, money....
ok back on topic

Tere Salazar
04-09-2006, 10:46 PM

Thank you! I forget all the neat little perks we get for our $10...and that not everyone has them. :slamit:

Tere Salazar
04-09-2006, 10:56 PM
OK, i caught a male!! hes slightly larger than the females(ill up pics later) and i got bit by 1000 ants and almost dislocated my shoulder in the process, oh and i scraped a big patch a skin off my arm, but i got him. now what do i need to do to set up the cage for mating? i have 2 females and one larger male, any help would be appreciated.

Okay, after some more searching and lots of reading...here's what I've managed to come up with. It looks like these guys have basically the same setup requirements as beardies.

They need a very large enclosure with a screen lid, sand substrate, something they can climb up onto to bask, UVB lighting and heat. Their ambient temps need to be 75-85 degrees, and basking temp needs to be 95-105.

They will also need lots of appropriately sized calcium dusted crickets and shed mealworms, and they will eat greens (like turnip and mustard greens), chopped veggies and fruits.

From what I read, an average clutch is 4-6 eggs, and have to be incubated...but I couldn't find very many particulars on that part of things. My best suggestion would be to run some searches on Google and Yahoo to see what else you can come up with...but at least you've got the basics to get you started.

Robotchicken09
04-10-2006, 12:56 PM
back on topic please!!! :D

Robotchicken09
04-10-2006, 12:57 PM
im gunna go take some pics of my male, ill upload them when im done.

Robotchicken09
04-10-2006, 01:19 PM
Here he is-
http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h119/Robotchicken09/DSCN0406.jpg

and here they are compared-
http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h119/Robotchicken09/DSCN0405.jpg

Robotchicken09
04-10-2006, 01:20 PM
oh and here he is on his rock
http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h119/Robotchicken09/DSCN0403.jpg

Robotchicken09
04-10-2006, 01:21 PM
hes rely fat for some reason...do you think they will mate or is the female too small?

Tere Salazar
04-10-2006, 01:43 PM
Ooohhh...he's very pretty! And what a fattie...very, very nice. I'm not sure about Collareds and size, but I know with some species (like our Frillies) the male is much larger than the female...and they should be just fine, as long as they are both healthy and well taken care of.

One question, though. It looks to me like you have them outside in a glass aquarium. Is that how they are set up?

Robotchicken09
04-10-2006, 01:49 PM
yeah, i dont have a heat lamp and i had a snake in there and my mom was like NOOO WAAAY! i couldt keep them inside yet, i need to make a trip to petsmart anyways, then im gunna get a heat lamp and some good sand, and a waterdish and other crap. it was just my birthday so im spending some of my money on that.

Robotchicken09
04-10-2006, 01:51 PM
moms rely phobic about reptiles so, but shes let me keep them inside before, i even bought a reptile leash for one of my other collards. im gunna try to go today, when my mom gos to pick up there girls from school(im homeschooled) and also my sister gos to dance, so i can get some in that time because my mom will be out.

Robotchicken09
04-10-2006, 02:00 PM
i just talked to my mom and she acted like she might let me bring them inside because my snake got out of HIS cage somehow...i have a 20 gallon aquarium, do you think thats enough for these?

Tere Salazar
04-10-2006, 02:02 PM
Totally understood. I'm sure you've already thought of this, but they will need a spot to get out of the heat, as the sun shining through the glass has the potential to just bake them. Also, the glass will filter out the UVB that they need to metabolize their vitamins. So you may want to have part of the enclosure out of the sun so they have a place to retreat to for now. And when you get your bulbs, make sure you get them both a heat lamp AND a UVB bulb...or one of the all-in-one bulbs, like Zoo Med Active Heat. The all-in-one bulbs are very powerful and should only be used in larger sized enclosures (like a 40 gallon up). If you are going to give them UVB by a fluorescent tube, Reptisun 10.0 is a fantastic bulb...and a standard household light bulb works just fine for heat...no need to spend a fortune on the "reptile bulbs" from the pet store.

For the sand, you can get a really nice washed and sifted playsand from Home Depot for about $5-6 for a 50 pound bag. This sand is much safer and much less expensive than any CalciSand or any of the other "reptile sands".

Have you been able to find a reliable feeder insect place yet? I know I gave you one link...but there are many feeder insect companies that you can look into. You're going to need a really reliable, clean supplier for feeders as all of these Collareds look like they've been eating a LOT!

Again, I'm sure these are all things you've thought of...so forgive me if I'm repeating stuff you already know.

Robotchicken09
04-10-2006, 02:02 PM
http://www.petsmart.com/global/product_detail.jsp?PRODUCT%3C%3Eprd_id=84552444180 9889&FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=2534374302030170&ASSORTMENT%3C%3East_id=2534374302023694&bmUID=1144692056142&itemNo=9&In=Reptile&N=2030170&Ne=2
im think i might buy a new terrarium, tell me what you think about these that i post

Robotchicken09
04-10-2006, 02:06 PM
Totally understood. I'm sure you've already thought of this, but they will need a spot to get out of the heat, as the sun shining through the glass has the potential to just bake them. Also, the glass will filter out the UVB that they need to metabolize their vitamins. So you may want to have part of the enclosure out of the sun so they have a place to retreat to for now. And when you get your bulbs, make sure you get them both a heat lamp AND a UVB bulb...or one of the all-in-one bulbs, like Zoo Med Active Heat. The all-in-one bulbs are very powerful and should only be used in larger sized enclosures (like a 40 gallon up). If you are going to give them UVB by a fluorescent tube, Reptisun 10.0 is a fantastic bulb...and a standard household light bulb works just fine for heat...no need to spend a fortune on the "reptile bulbs" from the pet store.

For the sand, you can get a really nice washed and sifted playsand from Home Depot for about $5-6 for a 50 pound bag. This sand is much safer and much less expensive than any CalciSand or any of the other "reptile sands".

Have you been able to find a reliable feeder insect place yet? I know I gave you one link...but there are many feeder insect companies that you can look into. You're going to need a really reliable, clean supplier for feeders as all of these Collareds look like they've been eating a LOT!

Again, I'm sure these are all things you've thought of...so forgive me if I'm repeating stuff you already know.

when i go to petsmart, im gunna buy a bag of crickets, but also i think ill start buying from that online store you gave me. and im on petsmart.com adding up prices, terrariums and such. im thinking i need a bigger one because they sometimes dig at the sides when i come near the cage, but looking out the window now there just sittin on there rocks. and yes part of the cage is out of the sun.

Tere Salazar
04-10-2006, 02:10 PM
Good for you! I really do think it would be better for the Collareds to be indoors since they are enclosed.

As for the enclosure size, how big are they right now? I would think a 20 gallon would work while they are baby to juvie size...but then they'll need something larger once they're full grown. I'm not sure what size enclosure they would need when they're full grown, as that wasn't specified on the care sheets that I looked at. All they said was that Collareds need "a large enclosure". Great description, huh? I know with beardies, a 4' long x 2' wide x 2' tall enclosure is what's recommended for a pair of adults. If the Collareds are comparable sized as adults, I would think the same sized enclosure would work for them.

i just talked to my mom and she acted like she might let me bring them inside because my snake got out of HIS cage somehow...i have a 20 gallon aquarium, do you think thats enough for these?

Tere Salazar
04-10-2006, 02:16 PM
I've looked at the same terrariums, and they are really, really nice. I do think that they would be better to use for a very small animal, though. The largest size these terrariums come in is kind of cost prohibitive, when compared to just a plain glass tank. You might want to do some calling around and see if you can find some decent prices on a 40-60 gallon breeder tank. I know from our local petstore, we can get a 60 gallon for about $75. It's the type with the locking screen lid...no escapees there! You might also try fish stores, as that's what our petstore is that sells the really good priced tanks.

For your other supplies (like light fixtures, bulbs, etc.) a really good place is www.reptiledirect.com. You'll see a very large price difference between them and Petsmart.

http://www.petsmart.com/global/product_detail.jsp?PRODUCT%3C%3Eprd_id=84552444180 9889&FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=2534374302030170&ASSORTMENT%3C%3East_id=2534374302023694&bmUID=1144692056142&itemNo=9&In=Reptile&N=2030170&Ne=2
im think i might buy a new terrarium, tell me what you think about these that i post

Robotchicken09
04-10-2006, 02:16 PM
hey, ah were do i mount the bulbs? what do i use to put them over the cage and have them light up? or does that come with the bulbs?

Tere Salazar
04-10-2006, 02:20 PM
Ummm...I hate to say it, but you're probably going to need more than one bag of crickets. If these guys are anything like my beardies, they'll eat upwards of 50 crickets a day...EACH. You may want to talk to Petsmart and see if you can buy a box of crickets (which should be 1000). That way you'll have enough to get you through until your order comes in. Also, if you get them some good greens, like turnip or mustard...and some veggies and fruits, all of which are very inexpensive...that would be good. They need to be offered a varied diet, and not just all crickets.

when i go to petsmart, im gunna buy a bag of crickets, but also i think ill start buying from that online store you gave me. and im on petsmart.com adding up prices, terrariums and such. im thinking i need a bigger one because they sometimes dig at the sides when i come near the cage, but looking out the window now there just sittin on there rocks. and yes part of the cage is out of the sun.

Robotchicken09
04-10-2006, 02:21 PM
I've looked at the same terrariums, and they are really, really nice. I do think that they would be better to use for a very small animal, though. The largest size these terrariums come in is kind of cost prohibitive, when compared to just a plain glass tank. You might want to do some calling around and see if you can find some decent prices on a 40-60 gallon breeder tank. I know from our local petstore, we can get a 60 gallon for about $75. It's the type with the locking screen lid...no escapees there! You might also try fish stores, as that's what our petstore is that sells the really good priced tanks.

For your other supplies (like light fixtures, bulbs, etc.) a really good place is www.reptiledirect.com. You'll see a very large price difference between them and Petsmart.

well 60 gallons are...well...ehhh...hmm...you dunt know how my mom and dad work, my dads a grump 24/7 and always tells me the lizards are gunna die, and my mom says it HAS to look good, also i only have 100$ to spend so.

Robotchicken09
04-10-2006, 02:22 PM
Ummm...I hate to say it, but you're probably going to need more than one bag of crickets. If these guys are anything like my beardies, they'll eat upwards of 50 crickets a day...EACH. You may want to talk to Petsmart and see if you can buy a box of crickets (which should be 1000). That way you'll have enough to get you through until your order comes in. Also, if you get them some good greens, like turnip or mustard...and some veggies and fruits, all of which are very inexpensive...that would be good. They need to be offered a varied diet, and not just all crickets.
ive read that they dont need that much crickets, only about 3 a day and any they dont eat should be taken out for the night

Robotchicken09
04-10-2006, 02:24 PM
also i read they only need a 30 gal tank

Tere Salazar
04-10-2006, 02:28 PM
Well...if you're planning on going with the UVB fluorescent tube and a heat lamp, you'll need a fluorescent fixture and a reflector dome. Retile Direct carries a bulb/fixture combo here...

http://www.reptiledirect.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=696

And you can get a reflector dome at Home Depot for about $6 or so. It comes with a clamp. If you get them a 40-60 gallon tank with the locking screen top, you can just lay the fluorescent fixture directly on the screen...and same thing with the reflector dome. You could also just clamp the reflector dome to the side of the tank, but you may not be able to create as much of a hot spot as they'll need.

Oh...forgot to mention that you'll probably need a digital thermometer with a probe. I know they have them at Petsmart, and they should run about $8-10. You can also get them online at Reptile Direct. The stick on thermometers ARE NOT accurate...and are not recommended.

hey, ah were do i mount the bulbs? what do i use to put them over the cage and have them light up? or does that come with the bulbs?

Robotchicken09
04-10-2006, 02:31 PM
ok well, 1 how in feet how big are 40 gallons? and how much are they do you think? also, can i get them at petsmart?

Robotchicken09
04-10-2006, 02:35 PM
ide realy love tyo give them a 60 gallon aqauarium, but i just cant afford it, nor will my mom go for it...she will probably let me keep them in that 20 gallon i have, but idk if thats enough. gah, never knew reptiles were so expensive to take care of!!

Robotchicken09
04-10-2006, 02:38 PM
there bodys are only like 4 or so inches long, there tails are about 8 or so, idk if a 20 is big enough, you think they would still mate in it?

Tere Salazar
04-10-2006, 02:43 PM
A 40 gallon is about 36" long, 15 1/2" deep, and 18 or so high. I believe we paid about $50 or so for our 40 gallon. I know our local Petsmart has tanks, but they are pretty expensive compared to what we get them for at the fish store. If you have any reptile shows in your area, you could probably get a good priced tank there, too.

Really, I do understand your predicament...but I'm also trying to help you. No animal, whether reptilian or mammal is cheap to keep. And if you're going to keep them, you really need to do your best to offer them what they need to be happy and healthy.

I don't know where you read that they only need 3 crickets a day, but I don't believe that's very accurate. I know any lizard in captivity should be fed as much as it can eat in a 15 minute period, at least once a day (depending on whether it's an adult or growing baby/juvie). I can assure you that if these lizards are fed the way they should be fed, they will eat much more than 3 crickets a day.

Robotchicken09
04-10-2006, 02:45 PM
A 40 gallon is about 36" long, 15 1/2" deep, and 18 or so high. I believe we paid about $50 or so for our 40 gallon. I know our local Petsmart has tanks, but they are pretty expensive compared to what we get them for at the fish store. If you have any reptile shows in your area, you could probably get a good priced tank there, too.

Really, I do understand your predicament...but I'm also trying to help you. No animal, whether reptilian or mammal is cheap to keep. And if you're going to keep them, you really need to do your best to offer them what they need to be happy and healthy.

I don't know where you read that they only need 3 crickets a day, but I don't believe that's very accurate. I know any lizard in captivity should be fed as much as it can eat in a 15 minute period, at least once a day (depending on whether it's an adult or growing baby/juvie). I can assure you that if these lizards are fed the way they should be fed, they will eat much more than 3 crickets a day.

oh 50$ thats pretty good, i think ill do that! i hope petsmart has a 50$ one, idk of any fish stores around here...

Robotchicken09
04-10-2006, 02:46 PM
my mom doesnt like driving everywere, so idk. she did say she would take me to petsmart tho...

Tere Salazar
04-10-2006, 02:47 PM
Yes, reptiles are fairly expensive to keep....properly anyway. I do think the 20 gallon is okay for a smaller sized lizard, but I think Collareds get too large to remain in a 20 gallon for life.

ide realy love tyo give them a 60 gallon aqauarium, but i just cant afford it, nor will my mom go for it...she will probably let me keep them in that 20 gallon i have, but idk if thats enough. gah, never knew reptiles were so expensive to take care of!!

Robotchicken09
04-10-2006, 02:50 PM
well, im not planning on leaving them there for life...just if the 40 gallons too much.

Robotchicken09
04-10-2006, 02:56 PM
how much do you think all the essentials will cost? the UVB, heat lamp ect. with and without the 40 gallon?

Robotchicken09
04-10-2006, 03:30 PM
good news! i saw the female bobbing up and down were the shade is near the male!! after a while of that the male walked up to her, i cant tell if hes biting her neck(one of the signs of mating) but he walked up to her and his head is by hers, i dont wanna go out and interupt them so.

Robotchicken09
04-10-2006, 04:11 PM
well, bad news the male got out of his cage and got away(sSTUPID OUTSIDE) maybe there will be some at petsmart i can buy and save there poor lives from horrible care. still got my females tho. it was amazing when i saw him get out
he got up on the rocks and jumped VERRY high to the lid of the cage that i only had half-way on so that they could get more sun, and shade. sigh*

PaulSage
04-11-2006, 02:12 AM
Brock, I hate to say it but I don't think you're going to be able to provide
these animals with the care and set up they need for only $100. First of all,
since they are wild-caught, it is very possible that they have internal
parasites so they should have fecal tests done by a vet. Those tests alone,
along with any necessary medication could easily eat up half of your budget.
For lizards of that size, I would guess that they could eat at least a dozen
crickets a day each, and if you're paying pet store prices for crickets, that
could easily cost you $15-20 per week. So, after having them checked out
by a vet (assuming it's legal to keep wild-caught native species in your
state) and feeding them for 2-3 weeks, you've already used up the $100 that
you have to spend and you don't even have cage for them yet. It's just my
opinion, but I think that both you and the lizards would be better off if you
let them loose back into their natural habitat, and saved up to buy them the
proper enclosure and care that they deserve. Good luck with everything! :)

Robotchicken09
04-11-2006, 08:44 PM
Brock, I hate to say it but I don't think you're going to be able to provide
these animals with the care and set up they need for only $100. First of all,
since they are wild-caught, it is very possible that they have internal
parasites so they should have fecal tests done by a vet. Those tests alone,
along with any necessary medication could easily eat up half of your budget.
For lizards of that size, I would guess that they could eat at least a dozen
crickets a day each, and if you're paying pet store prices for crickets, that
could easily cost you $15-20 per week. So, after having them checked out
by a vet (assuming it's legal to keep wild-caught native species in your
state) and feeding them for 2-3 weeks, you've already used up the $100 that
you have to spend and you don't even have cage for them yet. It's just my
opinion, but I think that both you and the lizards would be better off if you
let them loose back into their natural habitat, and saved up to buy them the
proper enclosure and care that they deserve. Good luck with everything! :)

hmmmmmm....

Bahamut
04-14-2006, 05:19 PM
Look around in the classified sections of local papers, especially from bigger cities nearby. I see setups for sale all the time from people whose iguana died, etc. Do try to get the largest cage you can before you try to keep them. I have to agree with Paul on this. It doesn't sound as if your parents are very supportive of your hobby, and any failures you have because you rush thing are going to be "I told you so" episodes. I know from experience. I didn't have a place to get good advice when I started, so please take advantage of our experience now to increase your chances of success with your hobby later.

Robotchicken09
04-14-2006, 06:53 PM
were building our upstairs right now so maybe my dad will allow me to put a big cage upstairs.

Tere Salazar
04-14-2006, 09:43 PM
Look around in the classified sections of local papers, especially from bigger cities nearby. I see setups for sale all the time from people whose iguana died, etc. Do try to get the largest cage you can before you try to keep them. I have to agree with Paul on this. It doesn't sound as if your parents are very supportive of your hobby, and any failures you have because you rush thing are going to be "I told you so" episodes. I know from experience. I didn't have a place to get good advice when I started, so please take advantage of our experience now to increase your chances of success with your hobby later.

Brock, both of these gentlemen have brought up some very good points. As much as you love Collared Lizards, I would think that you would want to do what's best for them, as well as be successful at keeping them. Just think what your parents would say about that!

Robotchicken09
04-14-2006, 09:46 PM
Brock, both of these gentlemen have brought up some very good points. As much as you love Collared Lizards, I would think that you would want to do what's best for them, as well as be successful at keeping them. Just think what your parents would say about that!
yeah, my dad thought i was gunna kill them but they've been healthy and fat for the past few weeks ive had them, also my moms taking me to petsmart and i now have 120$ to spend XD, i wanna buy a big cage and put it upstairs probably, it might look cool up there. its gunna be an entertainment room so. :prays: