PDA

View Full Version : Thermostats and Probes

droogievesch
05-09-2006, 05:44 PM
I've been looking into thermostats. I will be having 4 tanks total, and I was told that one thermostat can do multiple tanks. If this is true I plan on buying the Johnson Controls (http://mgreptiles.com/johnson1.html) or the ranco (http://mgreptiles.com/Ranco.html) Which one is better in terms of user friendliness and reliability?

Also, where is the best place to go to buy probes for sexing snakes?

Thanks!

MGReptiles
05-12-2006, 03:32 PM
I would go with the Ranco, it doesnt have as much on the menu to adjust. As far as what they do they are exactly the same. As long as your cages, heating elements and requirments are the same you can use one thermostat.

norsmis
05-15-2006, 07:18 PM
I am currently using the 4 zone Habitat Control System and I like it. It has 4 separate probes and plugs and has a built in night drop feature for each zone. Each zone can be programed separately which helps if have cages/racks that are different sizes like I do. It is also proportional. The draw backs are it only puts out 250 watts per zone and it is expensive at $300.

cornsnakekid92
05-17-2006, 04:58 PM
I use the acurite Themometer, they have a probe and the temp from the base, i can get then for like 6 bux at wally world!

floridaboy85
06-08-2006, 08:45 PM
I recently got a nice Johnson Controls from Matt at MGreptiles. This is definatly the place to get them. Not sure if he has probes or not.

BTW the Acurite from Wally world is just a thermometer and does not control heat output, just tells you what it is. Still good to have for humidity at the very least.

MGReptiles
07-01-2006, 01:45 PM
I use the acurite Themometer, they have a probe and the temp from the base, i can get then for like 6 bux at wally world!

Yeah like Norsmis said you will need to pick up a thermostat to make sure your temps dont deceide to go to extremes one day out of the blue. You could also rig up a dimmer but they are not as dependable or accurate as a stat:)

PythonGuy
08-04-2006, 02:02 PM
Where do you guys keep your probes?

By that I mean, Complete Probe touching the ground, Probe tip on the ground, or Probe hovering over the ground?

hhmoore
08-05-2006, 05:27 PM
depends on the cage, what is in it, and how it is heated

MGReptiles
08-08-2006, 12:05 PM
Where do you guys keep your probes?

By that I mean, Complete Probe touching the ground, Probe tip on the ground, or Probe hovering over the ground?

I usually tape the probe directly to the heating element..

liquidleaf
11-01-2006, 02:16 PM
I've been using "a-life" thermostats from Bean Farm. A good deal especially if you need to run a dual-thermostat backup (they're about $30 each) or if you want one thermostat per cage.

liquidleaf
11-01-2006, 02:21 PM
Seems though that these (alife) ones seem to be 'you get what you pay for' - a lot of people have had problems with them malfunctioning. I haven't had a problem yet, but my house is always cool and none of my cages have very high wattage heat pads.