PDA

View Full Version : HELP.Tadpoles just turned to frogs questions

mhwc56
05-15-2006, 12:24 PM
Hi. Our son was emptying out his backyard pond and so I caught what tadpoles I could and have been raising them. We noticed this morning that there is a tiny little froglet just out of the water and more getting close...it seemed to happen over night ! Anyway. I am wondering what to do now. I have 2 different size flightless fruitfly cultures and 2 week size crix avilable to feed them but I'm not quite sure how to go about it. Should I put the food in a little dish?
The "tank" they are all in right now is a Sterlite container but it's not real large. There is some small gravel on the bottom that I sloped up so they could get out when they morphed . I am not sure what species of frog these are yet. We thought they might be Spring Peepers but they were too small. They are a light brown with darker speckles.The one that is out of the water is about 3/4 of a cm long.There is a near black strip from it's eye to toward it's nose but isn't all the way to the nose. The speckle pattern on the back is random . The tadpoles are only 1 1/2 cm at most.
The species that our son has seen are pickerel frogs , leopard frogs , assorted toads ,spring peepers and some other kind of tree frog. They live in a wooded area in NE West Virginia. They are near a lake, streams and the Shenandoah River as well as the Potomac River.
Any one have any ideas as to what they are ? Most important though I need to know how to care for these tiny little frogs. Thanks in advance for your help and input !!!

DAND
05-15-2006, 12:44 PM
It kind of sounds like they are toads to me being that small and the speckling. My great niece saved some from my back yard and I found that they like to eat the small ants.

mhwc56
05-15-2006, 12:46 PM
To add on to this post...
The little frog has an almost glittery gold to it and there is a black side stripe along it's sides as well as striped on it's little legs. I hadn't realized it until I looked at it with a magnifying glass.... Any ideas?

Junkyard
05-15-2006, 03:35 PM
Crickets work good for starting food and the fruitflies may be well liked also. I would not bother with a dish, the bugs just get out too easily, so dump a few in around the frog and it should start eating pretty quick. I raised bullfrogs once and that was a lot of fun, I started them off on crickets.

nicolai
05-16-2006, 05:53 AM
Martha, here is a link that shows all the frogs and toads native to maryland. See if you can pick out which one it is.

http://www.nwf.org/frogwatchusa/display.cfm?showstate=md

this is a bullfrog foglet

mhwc56
05-17-2006, 06:11 PM
I found out that the tads are Chorus Frogs. Thanks Nicholas for the site.
I'm offering them small fruitflies but they don't seem to be interested in eating.About half of the tads are turned into froglets now.They are pretty ,it looks like they're sprinkled with gold glitter.