PDA

View Full Version : western blackneck help

aliceinwl
05-17-2006, 09:58 PM
In the last few months, now that my garter is a little bigger, I'm realizing that my checkered is actually a western blackneck :blush: . Converting it to pinkies is an uphill struggle. Scenting with my pacific treefrog does not illicit any interest. I thought I was over the hump when I got it to take a pinky that I placed in its bowl with a goldfish, but now it seems resolved to take the fish and leave the pinky or drop the pinky after it grabs it. Does anyone know of anything I could use to scent the pinky with that a western blackneck would find irresistible? If anyone has worked with eastern blacknecks, I'd also be interested in hearing about your experiences.

-Alice

aliceinwl
06-11-2006, 03:59 PM
Success! I took an appropriately sized frozen thawed pinkie, and made it a little hat out of a goldfish head, put it in with him, and when I checked back five minutes later there was no pinkie and a little lump in the snake. Hopefully, I'll be able to gradually cut down on the amount of goldfish associated with the pinkie.

-Alice

ravensgait
06-12-2006, 02:31 AM
Well that is good news, usually after they get tricked into taking a pinkie a time or three they don't need much if any scenting. Keep us posted..Randy