PDA

View Full Version : HATEFUL Blue Tongue Skink

animalpetmom
05-30-2006, 11:53 PM
I purchased an adult BTS about 4 months ago. Supposedly "tame/female". I absolutely loved her at first. After getting a nice hunk of skin taken from my neck, though, the love faded a bit! I've tried talking calmly, stroking her back and head, handling her daily. No matter what, she seems determined to eat me. Everything I've read says they are very docile; I see tons of photos of kids holding BTS's! What the heck? Did I just get a girl with a grudge? As far as I know, all of her needs are met (sifted through wide range of opinions on the web). She's in a 4'x2' cage, with a full spectrum/heat reptile light placed about 8" above her basking area. The bedding is aspen shavings. She has a large clay cave, and the bedding is plenty deep enough to burrow. I provide her with a large dish of fresh water daily, and feed her a mix of about 60% meat (fresh turkey or chicken boiled, or high quality low-fat dog food), 35% greens (selected for best calcium/phosphorous %), and 5% fruit. Twice a week I give her a multivitamin mixed with her food. Also, I was told she was about 4.5 years old. Any ideas why she's so hateful?

tarantulakeeper
05-31-2006, 01:08 AM
I sent you a link to a good site. John

ZenReptiles
05-31-2006, 01:58 PM
My baby BTS was a little vicious when I first got him, but he also had a bunch of health issues, so I would be po-ed too if I were him. How old is she, do you know? The meat, veggie, fruit ratio is fine 60% to 40% when they are young, but as they are older you want to lessen the meat intake to 40%. Constant handling is key as well. My BTS still gets annoyed if I pick him up when he is half asleep, but I let him know who is boss a long time ago. My 4 yr old daughter is able to handle my BTS without worry now.

animalpetmom
05-31-2006, 02:08 PM
Thanks Kate - I had a suspicion that too much protien might have something to do with the aggression. I was told that she was about 4 & a half - so she'd be closer to 5 now. I'll try reducing the protien, increasing the veggies/fruits, and handling her more (with gloves!). Elizabeth

animalpetmom
05-31-2006, 02:11 PM
Hey John - don't think my reply posted - wanted to say Thanks! the link you sent looks like it will provide more help than just an answer to my question. Appreciate the info - everyone! Elizabeth