PDA

View Full Version : GeckoMecca is up and running

DiabloBoa
06-02-2006, 08:42 PM
hey everyone i just built a website (i know it may be crude but what do i know about web design anyway) i kinda rushed it. ive got a lot of work to do still but was happy to have a navigatable site up.

i will likely need to have a site proffesionally built but untill then i hoped that i could get some input from anybody who cares to help.

ive got alot more animals to put up but just wanted to fine tune it some more.

Check it out www.geckomecca.com (http://www.geckomecca.com)

DiabloBoa
06-02-2006, 08:45 PM
thanks to Wendy @ DragonflyReptiles for helping me with getting it up.

DiabloBoa
06-02-2006, 08:47 PM
ahh crap! looks like its down
just bear with me ill fix it.

Milwaukee Reptiles
06-02-2006, 09:02 PM
It's working for me. Looks pretty good, just one thing I noticed was the size of the images. The main header image is over 450k, which alone will take over 9 seconds on a 56k. Try reducing the size of the photos to the size it shows up on the page (it will help the size), and also you might try to save the images at a lower quality (if using paintshop choose "save for web", the program you're using should have a similiar option). Also, the links on the bottom of the front page and under the bottom two geckos on the available page don't work.

I do like the overall layout and color scheme, and the photos all look good (except for the file size). Looks like a nice start.

DiabloBoa
06-02-2006, 09:08 PM
cool thanks,
i never considered the file size. ill work that out next.
i also seem to have a problem with the actual page sizes and the way they fit (some pages are way longer than they need.)

DiabloBoa
06-02-2006, 09:09 PM
what should i "dumb" the quality down to and still have them look good?

Milwaukee Reptiles
06-02-2006, 09:19 PM
For web images just make sure they are the same size that they will be displayed, and usually you'll save them as a JPEG at about 60-80% quality and they'll be fine for the web. I usually do 70% for most web images with good results.

TripleMoonsExotic
06-02-2006, 10:37 PM
Very nice, Vinny! :) LOVE the little guy on the home page! :)