PDA

View Full Version : Albino Giant pixie?

lestat_tnt
06-20-2006, 07:55 PM
Is this frog albino? Are there Albino Phase pixies?
http://www.anapsid.org/bullfrog.html

nicolai
06-21-2006, 10:08 AM
that is just the way the light is hitting him. To my knowledge there are no albino pixies yet. but you never know for sure. there are lots of other albino frogs out there though (pac mans, bull frogs, dart frogs, clawed frogs etc.)

mitch_rz
06-23-2006, 01:55 PM
Oh man would it be cool to have an albino pixie. I'm sure it occurs naturally in nature, it's just that they get gobbled up by other predators before we see them.

mitch_rz
06-23-2006, 01:56 PM
Btw, I'm getting this article soon from African Herp News so that I can learn more about these guys in their juvenille stage.

Douglas, R.M. 1995. Pyxicephalus adspersus; Highveld bullfrog; juvenile growth. African Herp News 24: 20-23

I'll probably scan it and upload it on a server so you guys can have a copy for your own reading pleaseure.

lestat_tnt
06-23-2006, 05:01 PM
Btw, I'm getting this article soon from African Herp News so that I can learn more about these guys in their juvenille stage.

Douglas, R.M. 1995. Pyxicephalus adspersus; Highveld bullfrog; juvenile growth. African Herp News 24: 20-23

I'll probably scan it and upload it on a server so you guys can have a copy for your own reading pleaseure.
That would be great. I try and get as much info and personal experiences about this species as possible.

nicolai
06-23-2006, 09:59 PM
cool, i would like to read it. I will see if i can dig up anything on them for you guys.

nicolai
06-24-2006, 09:18 PM
Mitch, where is the article from??

mitch_rz
06-24-2006, 10:15 PM
The publication is African Herp News. So no need to bother the guy about requesting the article again. He told me he just had back surgery and isn't that mobile, although he went to the trouble of photocopying me the article - what an awesome guy eh?

I should have the article coming in from mail (mail from Africa, sweet) sometime within this week I hope.

And I posted the link for the Giant Bullfrog Conservation Group here on the other pyxie frog post. But I'll post it again. http://www.up.ac.za/bullfrog/index.html

But here is a direct link to some academic/herp community publications from the GBCG. I think that these publications are very much what we have to go by for further research into this species rather than internet articles. I find that people are consistently repeating or rephrasing what others have said for information on the pyxie frog, and well, by actually obtaining these publications I think that we'll all know more than what we can find on the internet. http://www.up.ac.za/bullfrog/res2.html

nicolai
06-25-2006, 08:30 AM
I guess there is a lot more information and research out the on pixies then i thought there was. I think i am going to try and track down as many of those reports and publications on that link you posted as i can. there are a few names on there that i recognize.