PDA

View Full Version : Desert Spiny Diet

aliceinwl
06-25-2006, 01:18 AM
I've got a new desert spiny. It came from the dairy at the Lompoc penitentiary. This is considerably out of range (the prison is in coastal central California). The dairy has a truck that delivers milk to Arizona, and the only explanation of her appearance (she's a full size adult) that I can think of is that she some how got on board and hitched a ride back. I'm well versed in spiny lizard care (caging, temps etc), but I know that they are reputed to take some vegtable matter. If anyone keeps these, how much if any plant material do they take, and if they take veggies, what are their favorites?

-Alice

willows chelle
06-25-2006, 08:49 PM
i think they eat ants.
but i could be wrong.
and i think its illegal to keep them.

aliceinwl
06-25-2006, 09:25 PM
i think they eat ants.
but i could be wrong.
and i think its illegal to keep them.

I think that you have my guy confused with horned lizards (Phrynosoma spp.). You can have keep horned lizards in California, but only the desert (P. platyrhinos) and short-horned (P. douglassii) species; horned lizards do require a diet consisting predominantly of ants. The lizard I have is a desert spiny lizard, Sceloporus magister. In California, you are allowed to have two of each of the above species in your possession at a time. Spiny lizards typically take a wide variety of insect prey and some are also reputed to take some plant material.

-Alice

willows chelle
06-26-2006, 06:59 PM
sorry i confused them.

i would still guess ants for the diet though, i wonder why someone more knowledgeable hasnt posted anything?