PDA

View Full Version : corucia diet

serraticauda
06-29-2006, 09:22 PM
Might as well get it all out of my system.

I have tried various types of diets with my PTS colony and have settled on the no protein supplementation plan (greens, small amt fruits and veg). I have in the past with my first individual given a more protein rich diet (insects, protein powders, soy beans, tofu, egg whites), but I have been discouraged from this by what I read.
What kind of diet has worked best long term? I use about 12+ different types of greens as well as a wide assortment of other vegetation (with supplements). Should I try adding back protein?
My first PTS loved king meal worms and sometimes raided the mealworm tray in my reptile room when he was out. Did not seem to effect his health, but it always made me nervous since stomach content studies failed to reveal any source of animal protein in wild individuals, and obvious signs of gout often come much too late to reverse the damage.

Thanks,

Phil

Sherri - LCRC
06-30-2006, 10:29 AM
Hi again Phil,

In re-reading this post on diet, I am elated that you cut the animal protein out! I apologize that I was speed reading before & missed that you no longer give items such as mealworms... The general rule of thumb would be about 70% mixed greens, 20% veggies, 10% fruit. Greens should consist of high calcium to phosphorous levels such as collard greens... items such as kale should be included only periodically. I like a mixture of collards, mustard greens, turnip greens & various lettuces such as romaine, escarole, chicory, etc. Vegetables could include items such as different squashes grated or chopped, small amount of carrots, green beans (preferably fresh), peas, sweet potatoes etc. As far as fruits, I love their reaction to papaya, mango, cantaloupe & fresh figs the best. Our skinks are a little finicky sometimes & will pick out their favorite items while discarding the rest but, of course, it all depends on the mood & what given day it is!!

Good luck & again I apologize for misunderstanding your question & statements above,

Sherri

serraticauda
06-30-2006, 08:48 PM
I never intended to give the first one mealworms - he would go and find them himself when I forgot to put them away. He also liked to raid the catfood bowl (!!!). Not that this individual lived loose in my reptile room for about 10 years and died of a cat attack while moving (long and sad story), but never showed any deleterious health problems. I at one time was supplementing with some vegetable protein, but decided if they only ever ate greens in the wild, this would give too much protein.
Some of my concern comes from their slow growth rate. I find that they take a long time to hit a large size, making me wonder if my protein supp should be greater. However, given their longevity, this could be just me creating problems that are not there.
Any data on longevity of this species, BTW ?

Phil

Brian - LCRC
07-01-2006, 08:00 AM
I think I read somewhere that the lifespan of Corucia could be about 25-30 years if kept under optimal conditions. I don't know if this was first hand knowledge or just a theory.

Yes, their rate of growth seems painstakingly slow but keep in mind that Corucia doesn't even reach sexual maturity until around age 5.

When I answered your diet question yesterday, I forgot to mention that once or twice a week you should add a pinch of calcium & a multi vitamin supplement to the food. I like rep-cal & herptivite.

Take care,

Sherri

serraticauda
07-01-2006, 06:46 PM
I do supplement, though infrequently (some advocate daily supplementation, but the greens I use are calcium rich already, and these guys clearly make their own D3).
Thanks for the age and growth info. It was concerned the slow growth rate was dietary mismanagment. Seems like with such a long onset to maturity that they would live longer than 30 years. I have a feeling that there are much older individuals then that out there. the sheer size of some of the older wildcaughts that came in (very sad) back when they were being imported in bulk suggested that they were very old individuals.

phil