PDA

View Full Version : uromastryx problem

zarko
07-19-2006, 02:26 PM
pliese help my newlly aquired uromastryx is eating very small amouts of green and vagatables but he is into insects he is allways preperd to eat insects.
how should i make him eats vegies ??carrot green, dandoline and similar vegies is on the meni.
thanks

jglass38
07-19-2006, 02:30 PM
pliese help my newlly aquired uromastryx is eating very small amouts of green and vagatables but he is into insects he is allways preperd to eat insects.
how should i make him eats vegies ??carrot green, dandoline and similar vegies is on the meni.
thanks

Insects should definitely be given sparingly with Uros. I don't give insects more than ever couple weeks. As far as veggies, mine loves Chicory (curly endive) and Dandelion greens. It will take some time but he will eat. I ordered some powder for the food as well that seems to work well in getting him to eat different stuff. Check it out:

http://www.cricketfood.com/product_info.php/cPath/25/products_id/181

zarko
07-19-2006, 02:51 PM
thanks... ill thry

Junkyard
07-19-2006, 04:26 PM
Give him time, he will come around and be a veggie eating machine. What I do for my uro, I buy a Spring Mix, prepackaged bag of salad at the grocery store, my Uro loves it and it has a few different kinds of greens in it. He is a big dandelion fanatic, so I get a bunch of dandelions to ad to the mix. I always keep a bowl of bird seed in his cage, a good kind to get is the bird seeds with dried fruit mixed in it. A food item my uro goes crazy for is from Nature Zone called Iguana Bites, which you can get a free sample of at their website http://www.naturezonepet.com/samples.html

You ought to posts pictures of him in the Uromastyx forum, we are currently having a photo contest with a prize. Click on the link below my name.

jglass38
07-19-2006, 04:28 PM
Give him time, he will come around and be a veggie eating machine. What I do for my uro, I buy a Spring Mix, prepackaged bag of salad at the grocery store, my Uro loves it and it has a few different kinds of greens in it. He is a big dandelion fanatic, so I get a bunch of dandelions to ad to the mix. I always keep a bowl of bird seed in his cage, a good kind to get is the bird seeds with dried fruit mixed in it. A food item my uro goes crazy for is from Nature Zone called Iguana Bites, which you can get a free sample of at their website http://www.naturezonepet.com/samples.html

You ought to posts pictures of him in the Uromastyx forum, we are currently having a photo contest with a prize. Click on the link below my name.

Thanks for the heads up on the free sample, Michael! Good way to try and see if they like it.

Junkyard
07-19-2006, 07:14 PM
No problem! Of course I spent money on my cubes. It was an try and see sort of deal, I looked at my hand with the cubes and at the iguana, then thought popped in my head that iguanas are vegetarians so there was no harm in finding out if my uro would like them. Sure enough they are his favorite treats.

Zarko, let us know how your Uro is doing in the future!!

zarko
07-20-2006, 09:25 AM
ok thanks but it is a little more dificult cause i am form Serbia and theydont send samlpes or orders to Europe... so i have to improvise all the time.. i give him dendoline, carrot tops and all similar things. cause he is wc i am a little suspitios abouth his surviving acctually i am hellping some girt to get him surrvive this whole thing. she bouught him in tunnisia and brought it here. my personal exsperince with wc are bad cause people do not call me untill the reptile is totally ill. if u beleive in Serbia there is no vetenerian for reptiles acctualy i read more then any one and i ma just an enthusiast. i am into geckoes so the most of the times i am my ow vetenerian

aliceinwl
07-20-2006, 11:57 PM
I've heard of some people having success getting a uro into veggies by sprinkling the bee pollen available in health food stores on the greens. If you haven't seen it yet: http://www.deerfernfarms.com/Uromastyx_Care.htm has some great into on it in terms of diet and getting wc acclimated.

Good luck!
Alice