PDA

View Full Version : Husbandry discussion

jglass38
08-02-2006, 12:16 PM
When I first purchased my Uro about 2 yrs ago, I did all the research and read all the caresheets. The same things were said over and over. Dry and hot! No water source necessary, etc etc...I have always kept mine on bird seed with no water source and he seems to be doing well. Well now I see that Pro Exotics has been doing a lot of research with Uros and they are keeping them on moist soil so they can burrow and apparently stay moist. What is the right answer? I love the little guy and would want to have the best environment possible for him. Any thoughts on this?

By the way, you can read more about their thoughts on the www.proexotics.com website.

melrep
08-02-2006, 01:15 PM
Okay, I dont know about the moist soil, I know they like to burrow, I also keep mine on high quality bird seed. I use dern fern farms as a model for everything. I am sure you know who they are already but if you dont you should check out there web site, They are one of the biggest and most successful uro breeders around. They keep there's on bird seed with no water. I make sure my greens are plenty wet and all my uro's do well. I guess what I am getting at is that these methods are proven over time where as this moist soil thing just came out. I think we should all just stick with whats working. if your uro is doing well you have nothing to feel bad about.
Moist soil...that is interesting.
Good luck
Melissa

Junkyard
08-02-2006, 01:22 PM
It is difficult to know for sure without being able to go out and dig in a few of their holes and feel for moisture. I can understand having a moist box and a dry box for the uro to decide which they enjoy better. I am sure they would thrive well if they have moist soil as they do not get it in the wild. Of course if their enclosures are dry and they get their moist greens then they have no reason to complain.

I am going to set up a moist box and dry box this weekend to see how my uro reacts to it and which one it likes best. This would be an interesting idea to play with.