PDA

View Full Version : I am buying a pair of tegus from Varnyard! need hellp!

I love all my herps
08-20-2006, 10:03 PM
Thats right there BOB I decided to buy that pair off of you, We talked today at the Dayton show!! Now for the Questions!

Housing~~~ I will be keeping the animals out side, I live in centreal Fl!
What size enclosure do you guys recommend, and what do you recommend I build it out of? And Should I dig 3ft Down and place chiken wire so they can not dig out of there enclosure? Picks of your cages would be awesome!!!!

Feeding~~~ I was wondering How often every one feeds there adult breeder Tegus? and what do your breeders prefer the most and are the best for them.

Incubation Period/hibernation~~~ How long is the incubation period,
and How long will they hibernate if Sept out side and should I handle them or anything?

Thanks every one so much including you varnyard most of all!

Nick

Cat_72
08-20-2006, 10:11 PM
I know very little about Tegus, but I'm sure Bobby will gladly answer any and all of your questions before you buy those babies from him, he really knows his Tegu "stuff".

I love all my herps
08-20-2006, 11:11 PM
Yea, I know I meat him todaay and his mind seemed overloaded with answers and info he is amazing!!!!!!!!!!! And such a nice hellp full guy, not one of thos D!cks who are smart @$$es when you ask a question!!

varnyard
08-21-2006, 12:32 PM
Nick and Cathy, Thanks for the great comments!! :)

Nick, most of the information can be found on this forum. I will post some pictures of my enclosures, and answer any questions you might have. My enclosures are 8 x 8 x 6 FT tall , and 16 x 8 x 6 ft tall. Here are some pictures.

varnyard
08-21-2006, 12:44 PM
Here is some more info on the enclosures. It has 1/2 inch plywood, 2ft up from the ground all the way around, this is for two reasons. One is to keep your tegu from rubbing his/her nose. The other reason is to keep dogs, cats, or varmints from getting in. On the bottom I used new heavy duty chicken wire buried five inches under the soil, attached to 2x4s buried in the ground all the way around the inside. On the top I used 3/4 inch plywood, and from the plywood at the bottom all the way to the top I used 1/2 inch hardware cloth, or heavy duty chicken wire. There is a hole going down outside the enclosure. It is lined with wire. The wire is attached to the bottom to the wire in the bottom. It goes to a box buried outside under the ground 2 feet. The box has a hole cut out of the side of it. the wire is attached to the box. The tunnel is lined with indoor/outdoor carpet. This keeps the tegus from rubbing the wire traveling in and out of the hole. There is no where to go but the box or the cage. the wire is connected to the box, as well as the wire in the bottom of the cage.As for sunlight. I build mine so that they get morning sunlight as well as afternoon. Argentine tegus bask in the cooler parts of the day. When it is the hottest part of the day, they go into their burrows. Argentine tegus can be kept outside all year around. They will hibernate here from mid August until March. They can take temperature drops to 35 degrees for a few days. If the den is two feet below the ground, then the temperatures would need to drop much colder outside than this to effect them. If the temps drop below 25 for three or more days, I would be concerned. But this usually is not the case here. If there is a real cold snap comming or excessive rain I use plastic over their den box to keep excessive moisture and cold from affecting them. The plastic would tend to keep the ground warmer than if it was just bare ground. You could also use old carpet or plywood on top of the plastic for even more insulation.
Here is some more pictures.

I love all my herps
08-21-2006, 12:45 PM
Thanks ooo much boby!!!

I love all my herps
08-21-2006, 06:37 PM
did you use Hay in those picks? If so wont the rain rot it away and just turn into a big mess? and I am moving in October or september. What do you recommend me doing? Just housing them in a smaller indoor enclosure until I move and then build one?? Even Know I kind already started I can just keep the frame work I already started or something.

varnyard
08-21-2006, 07:10 PM
I do use hay, I put a layer of dirt (about three to five inches) A layer of cypress mulch, (Two inches) and a bunch of fine hay. The hay helps keep the humidity up, it is also very easy to replace. Females also like this more than anything else for nest building.

I love all my herps
08-21-2006, 08:18 PM
AW SOME!!! and hey Bobby can you get back to me in our messages? Please!
Nick

I love all my herps
08-22-2006, 10:26 AM
What I am going to do is just finish building my outside enclosure for them. I will just make it just big enough to fit in the cab of my F150. That should be enough room for one correct, possibly a pair?And on your frame work, do you have to make it that tall? and do you have to put a roof so no rain can get in? or can I make one of something else such as chiken wire, as long as they can not rub there noses?