PDA

View Full Version : New to Tegus

aplusreptiles
09-27-2006, 01:46 PM
Hi. I am new to Tegus, but not to reptiles. We just got an Argentine Black and White Tegu. He's a very small baby (still green). And I can't find the answers to some of my questions...

How often am I supposed to be feeding him?
I am currently feeding him on our beardie schedule, which is 3-4 times a day.

How much am I supposed to be feeding him?
I take him out of his cage, put him in a 10 gal, along with some crickets and supers and let him eat as much as he wants. Which is about 6 crickets and 3 supers... we do this 3-4 times a day.

I don't want him to be obese, but I want to make sure he's getting enough, since I know he's a fast growing lizard. I also cut up some hard boiled egg and turkey dogs and put it in a dish in his cage. All of his food items are dusted with calcium.
He has thick substrate for digging, a hide box with slightly moist substrate, a branch to bask on (basking temps 97-99), large water dish to soak in, and a UV light. When he gets a little bigger, we plan on incorporating frozen/thawed rodents into his diet. We do not plan on hibernating him. Oh and he's not even the least bit aggressive, not even when fully warmed up. He's going to the vet next week and getting a fecal done as soon as he eliminates (we have microscope at home for these purposes). He is captive bred, by agama international. We are in the process of buying a house with a 10x10 bedroom, just for him. So he will have plenty of room and is well loved.
Any tips on how to keep him as sweet as he is now?

Also, will my vet be able to probe and tell sex when he gets a bit bigger, or do I just have to wait and see what I got? Any other info and advice would be greatly appreciated.

brokenwing99
10-04-2006, 01:07 PM
I to have a black and white. she is the sweetest lizard though black and whites have a bad rep. mine is about 3.5 foot with tail. the problem with black and whites is that they are prone to obesity. i feed mine about every other day and that seems to work out well. fresh water all the time, every day but other then that sounds like your in good shape.

aplusreptiles
10-04-2006, 01:45 PM
Ok, will check that caresheet out.

I know that columbian b&w's get a bad rap, but I haven't heard anyone say bad things about the argentine b&w's.

EA7770
10-05-2006, 12:22 AM
No offence, but try posting this in the actual "Tegu" section instead of the classifieds section. You're bound to get a better response.

aplusreptiles
10-05-2006, 06:51 AM
Well, its kinda late now. And I got the asnswers I needed, but thanks anyways. I will keep that in mind.