PDA

View Full Version : Shedding?

ylv289
10-08-2006, 03:34 AM
I have a male red argentine whose name is Imhotep that I bought about a monther so ago and he doesn't seem to be shedding. I don't think it's a humidity problem because I mist his cage every day. I keep his cage at proper temperatures. It doesn't seem to be affecting his health - he's eating and drinking and behaving pretty normally but I'm a little concerned.

My first question is how often do tegus shed?

Second, what should I do? I'm thinking about taking him to the vet but if anybody has any advice, I'd greatly appreciate it. I want him to be in the best of health and I'm concerned.

Thanks! :D

varnyard
10-08-2006, 10:10 AM
I have a male red argentine whose name is Imhotep that I bought about a monther so ago and he doesn't seem to be shedding. I don't think it's a humidity problem because I mist his cage every day. I keep his cage at proper temperatures. It doesn't seem to be affecting his health - he's eating and drinking and behaving pretty normally but I'm a little concerned.

My first question is how often do tegus shed?

Second, what should I do? I'm thinking about taking him to the vet but if anybody has any advice, I'd greatly appreciate it. I want him to be in the best of health and I'm concerned.

Thanks! :D

How old is your red? Also, is he eating any soft fruit? You can also let him soak in warm water for about a half hour. This will often times loosen their sheds.

ylv289
10-08-2006, 03:39 PM
I'm not exactly sure how old he is. He's young..Around 6 months I believe. I've been trying to feed him some pear but he's not going for it. I'll try up-ing his fruit intake and see if that helps. Is there any type of fruit that tegus prefer over others? Or any kind of fruit I should avoid?

Thanks for your help. :D

varnyard
10-10-2006, 11:15 AM
Try some apple or grapes. Cut them up real fine and mix it in with the ground raw turkey.