PDA

View Full Version : Possible Leopard Gecko problem! NEED HELP!

ilovesnakes
05-08-2007, 09:59 PM
Hey fellas...my perfectly healthy, awesome looking leo is acting a bit strange today. I have observed him licking his vent area and a bit of web browsing suggested it might be a swollen hemipenis...I know for sure it isn't prolapse he's been doing it for about 1 day, this being the second and my unfortunate experiences with Chameleons tell me this ain't no prolapse...or at least I hope it won't be...I need tips and assistance on what to do with him as he seems perfectly fine and alert as always...I also saw the hemipenile bumps like..."pulstating" if you will...they looked like they were swelling...he was also licking the area as I said...any idea what I should do since there are no signs of blood or grossly abnormal signs. Also he is a sexually mature male who I've had for over 4 years and he has never been with anything other gecko so could it be semen build up? Thanks for any help you can give!

ilovesnakes
05-08-2007, 10:00 PM
bumpmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

IloveSnakes1234
05-08-2007, 10:23 PM
I think he just wants to breed, Say... kind of funny how we have a similar name...

Golden Gate Geckos
05-09-2007, 11:43 AM
The male's hemipenes can become irritated if there is too much smegma build-up or seminal matter in the pockets. Also, fecal debris can become lodged in the openings in the vent area. Normally, the male can keep the area clean by licking, but if the hemipenes themselves begin to swell and look irritated, a vet can usually clear the pockets out with little after-effects.

Leighanne
05-09-2007, 03:04 PM
Hhhmmm, thats weird. When I took emaciated boy to the Vet he had one swollen Hempimene and still does. All she said was it can become swollen from hormones and stuff and that its nothing to worry about of course until or unless it prolapses. It doesn't seem to bother emaciated boy.

Mr.Combine
05-09-2007, 05:09 PM
yeah whew...he was just constipated...he is fine...yeah he was licking the vent area like you said...thanks for the help I'm glad he's healthy