PDA

View Full Version : Registering Business Name?

aimee_s
05-16-2007, 01:58 AM
Hi All,

I was doing some research because I plan to extend my hobby and try out breeding for one season in the future (maybe within the next 2 years). Nothing large scale, just a small deal until I figure out if this is something I really want to pursue in the future. I've thought of the finances and did the pro/con thing, but I got stuck in this part of my research:

If I were to pursue this and start a "FutureBusinessName" and have a "FutureBusinessName.com" as many of you have, would I need to register my business even though it's private, small scale, and through my own home? Like if I just had 2 breeding geckos and decided to sell a few hatchlings?

The laws in my city state that I do need to register unless it's under my full legal name. So if I had "Aimee Salazar" as the main name, but "FutureBusinessName.com" instead of "AimeeSalazar.com," would I still have to register it? I assume that if it was "AimeeSalazar.com," I wouldn't need to....

And let's say I do register a business name with a matching business URL - approximately how much would the registration fee be (my city's website doesn't show the cost), and approximately how much would it take from my taxes? I don't plan on getting any loans and I don't even plan on making some money from this, I just want to do it as part of my hobby.

And if you have any suggestions on business names, registration, etc. Please feel free to add your input! I appreciate the assistance!

kellysballs
05-16-2007, 08:03 AM
I live in Florida, this is what I did. I purchased the fictitious name Kelly's Balls. In Florida fictitious name registration is good for 5 years and it costs $50.00. I also purchased a class 3 licence from Florida fish and wildlife for $50.00, that is only good for one year. But if I had used the name Kelly Pyle's Balls I would not have needed the fictitious name. I technically also need to purchase a home business licence from the city I live in and an occupational license from the county. You would need to visit your state's web page and search for there specifications. I would also check your states fish and game website and your local government's website for information. I purchased the fictitious name for taxes and I purchased the class 3 licence so I can legally sell my animals in the state of FL.
The best place to ask is with other established breeders in your state. I can also help you look.

kellysballs
05-16-2007, 04:43 PM
okay I found this website. It should have something there about what is needed for breeding and selling your animals.
www.dfg.ca.gov/licensing/specialpermits/specialpermitsdescrip.html

Dennis Hultman
05-16-2007, 05:46 PM
Aimee, Unless you are breeding native species you need nothing from the Dept. of Fish and Game in California.

aimee_s
05-25-2007, 02:13 PM
SORRY THIS REPLY IS LATE! I finished finals, graduated last Friday, and started my full-time job with training and meetings this past week!! YAY FOR THE REAL WORLD! Hehehe!

kellysballs: Thank you for your insight and the link! I'll be checking it after work today since we're backed up! I'll reply again once I read through it!

Dennis: OoOo, I didn't know that, thank you! I won't be breeding any native reptiles of California, so I'm good to go with the Dept. of Fish & Game. So if I were to start "BlahBlahReptiles," I wouldn't need to register it as a business if it's a small-scale hobby sort of thing if I sold online? Thanks Dennis!