FaunaClassifieds

FaunaClassifieds (https://www.faunaclassifieds.com/forums/index.php)
-   Herps In The News (https://www.faunaclassifieds.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=522)
-   -   Poisonous Snake Bites Man, Man Releases Snake Into Wild, Then Goes to Hospital (https://www.faunaclassifieds.com/forums/showthread.php?t=135237)

wcreptiles 06-04-2009 07:32 AM

Poisonous Snake Bites Man, Man Releases Snake Into Wild, Then Goes to Hospital

Quote:

Poisonous Snake Bites Man, Man Releases Snake Into Wild, Then Goes to Hospital
Wednesday, June 03, 2009

A Poolesville man bitten by a poisonous snake returned the snake to the wild before seeking medical attention.

Sam Pettengill found the snake the size of a pencil in his apartment at Kunzang Palyul Choling, a Buddhist temple, on Sunday and was bitten on the finger when he picked it up.

But before going to the hospital, 36-year-old Pettengill, who has been known to buy crickets and worms to set them free, prayed and released the snake in a grassy area.

David Srour of Shady Grove Adventist Hospital notes that most poisonous snake bite victims bring the snake with them — and the snake is usually dead.

A state Natural Resources expert told Pettengill it was almost certainly a copperhead, the only known poisonous snake in Montgomery County. After four rounds of antivenin, Pettengill is expected to return to the temple soon.
http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,524942,00.html

ForkedTung 06-04-2009 09:20 AM

Pretty standard Buddhist philosophy ( excepting the getting bit part...lol).

Seamus Haley 06-04-2009 11:53 AM

Someone should still have a talk with the guy about releasing crickets- and possibly the worms.

Unless he's buying indigenous crickets, which is pretty unlikely- he may feel he's doing something good for the crickets in question but he's doing something a hell of a lot less-good for everything that was already living where he released them. Pet store crickets aren't the same animals as wild crickets... and they often have a whole host of fun gut fauna to go along with them.

How much of a belief in peace and serenity does it take to justify ignorance that damages the local ecosystem, one small, bag full of crickets worth at a time?

ForkedTung 06-04-2009 12:41 PM

Quote:

How much of a belief in peace and serenity does it take to justify ignorance that damages the local ecosystem
"the best laid plans of mice and men often go awry"

greentreepythons 06-04-2009 01:23 PM

I have met Sam Pettengill at that Buddhist temple, Poolesville is next to Potomac in MD, and he is a very kind person with the best of intentions, so he means no harm by releasing foreign insects into our ecosystem. I can stop by and tell him to stop these seemingly 'good' actions to explain to him the local damage it causes. Blood worms and crickets from Africa most likely swarming with mites and parasites are things I don't want in my back yard where I sometimes take my snakes to sun out.

Uroboros 06-06-2009 05:22 AM

How did he know the snake was poisonous?

Have they tried to eat them before?

lol, making fun of my own mistaking poisonous for venomous.

ForkedTung 06-06-2009 10:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by greentreepythons (Post 718102)
I have met Sam Pettengill at that Buddhist temple, Poolesville is next to Potomac in MD, and he is a very kind person with the best of intentions, so he means no harm by releasing foreign insects into our ecosystem. I can stop by and tell him to stop these seemingly 'good' actions to explain to him the local damage it causes. Blood worms and crickets from Africa most likely swarming with mites and parasites are things I don't want in my back yard where I sometimes take my snakes to sun out.

Great! give him a big "Namaste'" from Fauna!

Tim Cole 06-07-2009 11:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Uroboros (Post 718860)
How did he know the snake was poisonous?

Have they tried to eat them before?

My thoughts as well. It may have been the media that made that mistake.

Seamus Haley 06-07-2009 03:57 PM

Venoms are poisons.

A poison is any substance that, through chemical action, has a negative impact on living organisms.

A venom is just a very specific type of poison, being organic in nature and produced by a species that has a specific method of injecting it into other organisms.

All venoms are poisons, not all poisons are venoms. A venomous snake is a poisonous snake because it produces a poison. The more specific term is possibly a better one to use when it applies since it narrows things down more and gives a clearer understanding of what's involved but the broader term isn't actually inaccurate.

Tim Cole 06-07-2009 07:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Seamus Haley (Post 719440)
Venoms are poisons.

A poison is any substance that, through chemical action, has a negative impact on living organisms.

A venom is just a very specific type of poison, being organic in nature and produced by a species that has a specific method of injecting it into other organisms.

All venoms are poisons, not all poisons are venoms. A venomous snake is a poisonous snake because it produces a poison. The more specific term is possibly a better one to use when it applies since it narrows things down more and gives a clearer understanding of what's involved but the broader term isn't actually inaccurate.

I must have missed you at the last two VENOM CONFERENCES I attended.

Funny, that's NOT what the experts say.

I prefer to explain it this way.

A poison is a substance that is ingested.

Venom is injected.