FaunaClassifieds

FaunaClassifieds (https://www.faunaclassifieds.com/forums/index.php)
-   Bearded Dragons Discussion Forum (https://www.faunaclassifieds.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=124)
-   -   What paint can I use for a new cage (https://www.faunaclassifieds.com/forums/showthread.php?t=311356)

Fede59 04-10-2012 09:19 AM

What paint can I use for a new cage

Hey guys I just finished making a cage for my beardy what type of paint can I use that won't harm my animal?
Thanks!!!

OEdwards 04-10-2012 04:25 PM

Nothing lead based I would use a stain if it is wooden it is easier to keep clean.

Fede59 04-10-2012 04:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OEdwards (Post 1441955)
Nothing lead based I would use a stain if it is wooden it is easier to keep clean.

How about non toxic latex spray paint? My friend used it for his birdcages

OEdwards 04-10-2012 06:49 PM

yes i only mention stain for the fact that it is easily cleaned. Besides spray paint has fumes that people get high off of when spraying so there is that risk!

Jennifer P. 04-11-2012 12:09 AM

Low VOC

You should probably avoid stain altogether, most are oil based and contain a lot of VOC's (volatile organic compounds) that leach out of the stain into the air over time. Best to look for a paint low VOC's that once are cured are child & food area safe. After paint look for Varnathane, it's a varnish/sealer that is safe after it cures and it will make the finish shinier and will protect from moisture etc.

Cool that you made your own enclosure. You should post a picture :)

OEdwards 04-11-2012 04:45 PM

Actualy varnish gives of VOC just as much as stain but I should have said water based stain it is very safe.

Fede59 04-11-2012 05:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jennifer P. (Post 1442209)
You should probably avoid stain altogether, most are oil based and contain a lot of VOC's (volatile organic compounds) that leach out of the stain into the air over time. Best to look for a paint low VOC's that once are cured are child & food area safe. After paint look for Varnathane, it's a varnish/sealer that is safe after it cures and it will make the finish shinier and will protect from moisture etc.

Cool that you made your own enclosure. You should post a picture :)

Thanks! I would but it doesn't let me through my iPhone:( lol, and what do you think about the non toxic latex spray paint?

Jennifer P. 04-11-2012 06:13 PM

"Varathane" diamond coat interior waterbourne is a sealer that is safe for reptile enclosures. That's why I mentioned that brand in particular. Not all varnishes are safe. Also, Marine paints and expoxys have come a long way and many are low VOC and safe. You can always look up the MDS for whatever product you use. As I mentioned above, looking for a paint specifically labeled "child & food area safe" should get you a safe product. :)