FaunaClassifieds

FaunaClassifieds (https://www.faunaclassifieds.com/forums/index.php)
-   Hognose Snakes Discussion Forum (https://www.faunaclassifieds.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=471)
-   -   Baby hognose enclosure (https://www.faunaclassifieds.com/forums/showthread.php?t=645249)

jsnook13 01-14-2018 07:04 PM

Baby hognose enclosure

1 Attachment(s)
I am getting a baby Western hognose (eating medium pinkies) and I would like to see if you guys think the enclosure in the pic below would be adequate for a snake of this size??
Thanks.

mike03081970 01-14-2018 07:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jsnook13 (Post 2052161)
I am getting a baby Western hognose (eating medium pinkies) and I would like to see if you guys think the enclosure in the pic below would be adequate for a snake of this size??
Thanks.

Top looks plastic careful they melt

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

kalel5011 01-14-2018 08:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jsnook13 (Post 2052161)
Thanks.

What are your temps?

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk

HerpDerp 01-15-2018 02:51 AM

2 Attachment(s)
I'm keeping my baby hognose (17grams) in a 5.5 gallon glass tank w/ a screen lid. I would switch your bedding to aspen chips instead since these guys like to burrow and the aspen chips allow them to create these little tunnels. I also noticed that if you cover 3 sides of the tank with aquarium background, they seem to come out more and you can view them just roaming their home.

hotlips 02-03-2018 07:37 PM

I'd also recommend UTH as these are terrestrial & burrowing snakes, so any heat on the top of their cage is not where they need it, & isn't efficient (heat rises, most goes away from the cage). If you can actually get enough heat into the cage, reaching the floor that way, it's likely over-heating all the air, and all snakes need temperature choices, cooler & warmer options, to be healthy.

bcr229 02-03-2018 07:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hotlips (Post 2055802)
I'd also recommend UTH as these are terrestrial & burrowing snakes, so any heat on the top of their cage is not where they need it, & isn't efficient (heat rises, most goes away from the cage). If you can actually get enough heat into the cage, reaching the floor that way, it's likely over-heating all the air, and all snakes need temperature choices, cooler & warmer options, to be healthy.

I second the recommendation for a UTH. It must be regulated by a thermostat if you get one.

hotlips 02-04-2018 05:53 PM

And a caution for heating the cage as shown by OP: heat melts (or warps) plastic cages, please use a glass tank with UTH, for safety and best results. The bottom of a plastic cage will take an even bigger beating from UTH than the top would from the overhead light, since heat rises and bottom heat is trapped going upwards. As bcr229 said, UTH must be regulated: they get way too hot & can hurt the snake, besides the risk of overheating.