FaunaClassifieds

FaunaClassifieds (https://www.faunaclassifieds.com/forums/index.php)
-   Pituophis & Drymarchon Discussion Forum (https://www.faunaclassifieds.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=309)
-   -   Recovering Nicely (https://www.faunaclassifieds.com/forums/showthread.php?t=643943)

Donald C 12-26-2017 04:44 PM

Recovering Nicely

4 Attachment(s)
At the last Columbia Repticon, I picked up the only drymarchon at the show: an unfortunate and under-the-weather YT cribo. As was apparent just from looking at it, it was (1) an import, and (2) severely neglected.

After the much needed vet exam, it was determined that the animal was underweight, several layers of retained spectacles on both eyes, a horrendous gut-load of parasites, and a bacterial infection starting just behind the head and extending back about 3" and going completely around the snake's neck.

Thankfully, after some small time and attention, she is down to just one retained spectacle on a single eye, the bacterial infection appears to be gone (with the affected and recovering scales appearing white and scarred belly scoots), and the parasite load is down to a single specie. She is also moving toward eating regularly on unscented quail left for her, usually eaten within 30 min of being shown to her.

JColt 01-01-2018 10:48 AM

Nice to see this. With your dedication I'm sure she will thrive. Keep post updated and Happy New Year!

Helenthereef 01-01-2018 04:31 PM

Well done, that must have involved a lot of work. Glad it paid off.

Donald C 01-02-2018 06:20 AM

Thanks. I was very certain what all was needed when I saw the animal, which made things easier.

hotlips 02-01-2018 11:51 PM

Lucky snake, that you bought her!

Donald C 02-02-2018 05:24 AM

She's doing quite well. I have a fecal sample to send in next week to get the all clear (hopefully) next week. She's also taking f/t quail off of the tongs now.

hotlips 02-02-2018 01:17 PM

That's awesome! I can remember wanting one of these magnificent creatures (back some years, I don't any longer, as I got involved with many other kinds instead, lol).

Donald C 03-10-2018 09:01 AM

She's making nice progress. The fecal sample came back negative for parasites and she is now taking food off the tongs, including rats. Just one last retained eye cap that I should be able to clear in her next shed.

hotlips 03-10-2018 03:03 PM

Hey, that's great news. I'll bet she feels a whole lot better.

Donald C 04-09-2019 05:39 PM

2 Attachment(s)
So, it's been a while since my last post. This girl has thrived since I got her treated for internal parasites and nixed that nasty scale infection. Since my last post here, she has doubled in size from ~3 feet to ~6 feet in length, and she is now taking feeders off the tongs, both rodents and quail. She's still quite cage defensive, but settles down once out. She has even tolerated and done well with several education events I have assisted with.