FaunaClassifieds

FaunaClassifieds (https://www.faunaclassifieds.com/forums/index.php)
-   Board of Inquiry® (https://www.faunaclassifieds.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Hooked on Fish and Corals - Parasites (https://www.faunaclassifieds.com/forums/showthread.php?t=681112)

IslandLizards 01-28-2019 09:31 AM

Hooked on Fish and Corals - Parasites

We purchased two Chameleons from Hooked on Fish and Corals from the
Broward/Dade show in Pembroke Pines on 1/5/2019.

One of the Chameleons was a Captive Bred female Panther Tamatave. The
other was an imported male Panther Vohemar. The issue of concern is with
the male Vohemar.

Initial visual inspection while at the show depicted dark coloration and
sunken eyes. Typical signs of stress and dehydration but is somewhat a
common occurrence with the shows and what the animals are put through.

The animal refused to eat once he was taken back with us while in quaratine and still showed signs of dark coloration and sunken eyes. The animal was visually observed drinking and we received a defecation two days later which showed no signs of dehydration in the urates.
As with all animals we purchase, a vet appointment was scheduled the
following Monday for the upcoming Friday for a routine fecal and general checkup. As the week progressed the animal was getting slightly worse. On Friday (1/12/19) we headed to the vet appt and the animal passed while en route.

A fecal exam showed a very large amount of Ophidascaris. The incubation period of this specific roundworm parasite is approximately 2 weeks. Due to the quantity of detected parasites in the specimen, it is estimated that the animal contracted the parasites at least 4+ weeks prior to sampling.

During initial discussion with the vendor prior to purchase there were
some concerns that were brought up in regards to the animal.

1. How long have you had it and when was it imported?
I was told November. Upon further discussions after notifying them of the
death they said they got it a week before the show and it was doing fine.

2. Has it been tested and assuming everything is fine?
Was told yes tested clean

Now the issue is that upon notifying the merchant of the death of the animal they requested pictures. Pictures were sent as well as the lab results. They refused to provide a refund and instead offered 50% another animal.
I then was contacted by the other owner (Martin) and he seemed like he was willing to work something out but wanted to get back to me while he figured out what he wanted to do. A day goes by, I ask for an update he says they are busy, I agree and say tomorrow is fine. Next day...same thing, we are busy. The 4th day I message stating that due to his lack of communication he doesn't want to work on the issue. I get a message almost immediately stating he can call me that evening. I told him to not worry about it and will resolve it on our own.

Hooked on Fish & Corals
1165 W 49 Street
Ste. 104
Hialeah, FL 33012
(786) 542-1682
www.hookedonfishandcorals.com

Rodriguez, Tomas
786-448-9044

Lopez, Martin
305-224-2204

Further investigation on Facebook and Google Maps reviews depict the same thing as a common occurrence with other animals as well. Not sure why Repticon still allows them to vend.

Lucille 01-28-2019 09:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IslandLizards (Post 2123739)

Further investigation on Facebook and Google Maps reviews depict the same thing as a common occurrence with other animals as well.

Have you notified them of this thread? Could you please provide screen shots of your research?

Insomniac101 01-28-2019 10:03 AM

Will, I'm sorry that the poor critter died, and you got the runaround from the owners.

I think I would have agreed to wait for Martin's call that evening. I have no way of knowing if he had any intention of calling you, but with the animal already deceased, what difference would a few more hours make?

How did you make payment?

IslandLizards 01-28-2019 10:36 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lucille (Post 2123742)
Have you notified them of this thread? Could you please provide screen shots of your research?

I have not notified them. I was going to get all supporting docs later today.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Insomniac101 (Post 2123746)
Will, I'm sorry that the poor critter died, and you got the runaround from the owners.

I think I would have agreed to wait for Martin's call that evening. I have no way of knowing if he had any intention of calling you, but with the animal already deceased, what difference would a few more hours make?

How did you make payment?

Based on how he was speaking on the phone when I initially spoke to him and being very adamant that he will not give a refund I decided to give them a few more days. Then after the repeated delays with the call backs I figured it was a lost cause. I even offered to take a partial refund from the initial purchase price.
I also own a business and CS is #1. It doesn't take long to call someone, tell them you will process a refund then have an employee or yourself process the refund.
I paid with Credit Card and have a receipt.

On the receipt is doesn't mention a no refund/return policy nor did they have one posted at time of sale.

Lucille 01-28-2019 11:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IslandLizards (Post 2123748)
I paid with Credit Card and have a receipt.

It has been three weeks since the transaction. I suggest that you go ahead and open a case with your credit card company.

bcr229 01-28-2019 12:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IslandLizards (Post 2123739)
Not sure why Repticon still allows them to vend.

It's extremely rare for Repticon to ban a vendor; usually they will rent tables to whoever wants them. I only know of one instance where they did ban a vendor, and it was because the vendor was convicted of violating multiple wildlife/smuggling laws, not because he sold critters that were sick or riddled with parasites.

IslandLizards 01-28-2019 12:43 PM

Yeah case is open.

I didn't think Repticon would do anything especially since they allow plumbers and contractors to rent tables.

Lucille 01-28-2019 01:06 PM

Since you did see stress symptoms at the time you purchased the animal and waited five days to take it to the vet while it got worse, it may be that each party could have done things a little different. I think sellers should never try to sell animals that appear sick or stressed, but if buyers note these symptoms perhaps they should pass on the purchase.

I think that many show vendors would not offer a five day warranty on chameleons in particular because a lot depends on the husbandry skills of a buyer. Many show vendors don't offer warranties and instead address each case according to circumstances.

I would like to see the communication screen shots, if they did in fact promise to get back with you with a resolution and have not done so that is worrisome.

IslandLizards 01-28-2019 01:17 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lucille (Post 2123769)
Since you did see stress symptoms at the time you purchased the animal and waited five days to take it to the vet while it got worse, it may be that each party could have done things a little different. I think sellers should never try to sell animals that appear sick or stressed, but if buyers note these symptoms perhaps they should pass on the purchase.

I think that many show vendors would not offer a five day warranty on chameleons in particular because a lot depends on the husbandry skills of a buyer. Many show vendors don't offer warranties and instead address each case according to circumstances.

I would like to see the communication screen shots, if they did in fact promise to get back with you with a resolution and have not done so that is worrisome.

I waited 5 days because that was when I could get in. I made the appt on the following Monday. At the time the animal was in decent shape. I called again Wednesday to see if I could get in earlier (Thursday) but could only get my Friday appt moved a little earlier to the AM.

Attached are the first messages with an employee at the store. I called them directly and they said would call back. They had their employee call me and this is him.

IslandLizards 01-28-2019 01:18 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Here are the ones from Martin (owner).