FaunaClassifieds

FaunaClassifieds (https://www.faunaclassifieds.com/forums/index.php)
-   Board of Inquiry® (https://www.faunaclassifieds.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Jim Talioferro - Dead Shipment/Unresponsive (https://www.faunaclassifieds.com/forums/showthread.php?t=262378)

Captive_Science 08-03-2011 09:07 PM

Jim Talioferro - Dead Shipment/Unresponsive

I recently made an inquiry on July 26th via text message to Jim Talioferro, Dryden, MI, regarding the purchase of a 19” female Sulcata tortoise for $900 shipped as advertised on Fauna.

After several texts and a phone conversation, the money was sent via Paypal that evening for a shipment to be sent the next day.

The following day, Wed July 27th, my shipping address was given as he had missed my phone call, via text.

On the 28th I inquired via text for what service he used to ship. His response was that he intended to use UPS and was given guidance from UPS of possible delays due to storm activity. It was agreed to ship the following Monday.

On Sunday the 31st, I inquired on a male as well to pair with the female and ship at the same time. He sent a picture of a male and stated he was 17” and 29lbs. Price was $450 shipped and I sent payment via paypal.

On Monday, August 1st, I received a text message asking me “Hey did u by chance get your Sulcata yet. I didn’t even realize my wife sent her out”. This of course puts the shipment sitting over a weekend.

I stated that I did not receive a shipment and inquired to whether or not she was shipped on a Friday.

Approximately five minutes later at 5:20pm, UPS shows up with a box. The driver handed off the package to which I immediately opened.
The animal, as expected with the recent heat, had died in the long transit. She was shipped in a large styro that had not been ventilated. The intense heat caused a complete separation in the center of the carapace, full prolapse, etc.

I contacted him immediately via phone and stated that the animal had not survived. I sent 10 pictures of both the animal and various shots of the containment upon arrival. During the conversation that ensued, I made compromise for a replacement animal of similar quality and size and/or a refund. Jim stated that he would make some calls in the attempt to find another animal as he did not have another.

Subsequent phone calls and texts were made in an attempt to gain a tracking number for the male that was supposed to be arriving and have remained unanswered.

The male did arrive today, wrapped entirely in cellophane tape and package in a cardboard box with newspaper. The box was of minimum dimension for the size tortoise. In addition, the tortoise was approximately 6.5” and a few pounds .vs the 17”/29lbs as described. This tortoise although quite warm seemed in good health and is being monitored.

I do have all associated photographs and did not post due to graphic nature. I will post if requested.

I did give the opportunity to correct within seven days via text with no reponse. Given the latest arrival being incorrect as described via text and photo, I will not be extending any additional offers.

I will be instituting full and uncomprimising legal action against this individual and spouse, for the swift return of the initial funds and any liquidated damages as allowed/applicable.

I am not familiar with any cruelty piece that may apply, but will be willing to fund associated prosecution the same.

I appreciate any feedback regarding this individual or assistance in recovery of the ads placed that have since been deleted.

Thanks,

Galen Clark

Michael Brown 08-03-2011 09:13 PM

Un-real.

Texts / Email's, and perhaps pictures of way in which the sulcata's were packaged, (I too would avoid the graphic pics).

A Time-line associated with the above will help not only us, but you after legal steps are taken. I apologize for your lose, but you seem very well put together, you should get everything you deserve legally.

:/

Michael Brown 08-03-2011 09:16 PM

Oh, and If you can show us the HUGE size discrepancy that occured with the male who is still alive, would just strengthen your case that much more.

Captive_Science 08-03-2011 09:22 PM

Michael,

Appreciate the thread view and input. I am gathering all pics and will post.

bpsandmore 08-03-2011 09:31 PM

All I can say is WOW!:eek: That's pretty bad! Hope you get your money back! On my do not buy from list!!!

Katie.Shinkle 08-03-2011 09:58 PM

How sad...

Do you have a picture of the deceased tortoise that isn't too graphic? I know it can be hard for people to see, but it does help pound into people's heads why to ship VERY carefully, especially in this extreme heat.

Like Michael said, a time line of events, as well as any communications will help tremendously. Has Mr. Talioferro been informed of this thread? Can you share his username?

So sorry for the loss :(

reptilebaby 08-03-2011 10:03 PM

WOW

Omg.........All I can say is, How COULD they do that to you and a living animal! My god, most people would NOT ship anything living in this kind of heat. :(
I hope that this gets taken care of in your favor!

reptilebaby 08-03-2011 10:06 PM

I would say to post pics too. If you have to, post all of them, it might be good for other people searching for them to see what they did to your tortoise, because of irresponsible shipping.

Chuckels 08-03-2011 10:16 PM

I just cannot comprehend why in the he** people would ship ANY living animal in this heat. Especially over a weekend. That poor tortoise. I feel bad for you, but especially that little guy who couldn't even defend himself. I'd post all of the pictures myself, it may be graphic, but sometimes putting the pictures that are graphic is the only way to beat it into some peoples brains. I hope you get all of your money back. This is just completely uncalled for. Irresponsible _ _ _ _ s.

Trey

Captive_Science 08-03-2011 10:37 PM

**graphic images**

4 Attachment(s)
Below you will find pics of the female Sulacata that arrived first..

Animal was moved to obtain images.

Chuckels 08-03-2011 10:43 PM

Those people should be locked up. That's cruelty at its finest.

Trey

FosterHerpetological 08-03-2011 10:45 PM

I have no words..... :(

Captive_Science 08-03-2011 10:45 PM

4 Attachment(s)
First image is the male picture that was sent, second is the male that arrived and lastly is after I pulled him from the box and was cutting him from the confines.

Captive_Science 08-03-2011 10:52 PM

Requests

I will attempt to assemble a line item/time line of events in the a.m. All communications were verbal and via text.

I will see what method I can use to downlaod the text conversations.

Texting was via IPhone 4 if any members have the info on downloading the conversations?

KiKiKiKida 08-03-2011 10:54 PM

Wow, I have no words... that poor baby. I hope this get figured out.

I don't know a tonne about iphones, but as a last resort you could take pictures of the screen?

Serafim 08-03-2011 10:55 PM

That really pisses me off. Sorry you had to deal with this...

There is special place in hell for people who do things like that. There is no excuse on their part..

reptilebaby 08-03-2011 10:56 PM

O....M.....G.......That is completely terrible-he should be in jail for that.
I would LOVE to see him try to weasel out of this!!! C R U E L!
Too bad someone can't box HIM up and ship HIM in this hot weather!

Captive_Science 08-03-2011 10:57 PM

I think you can capture with the phone itself. Will be quite a few pictures.

In addition, I will send a message to Mr. Taliferro regarding the thread.

AW2EOD 08-03-2011 11:07 PM

To take screen shots of your conversations, via iPhone 4, simply press the lock/power button and the main menu button, at the same time.

I do not really ever post on the BOI, but that is just disgusting and cruel. You can see the styrafoam scratched and chewed up, where that big female tried escaping the box. And the taped up male? Is that normal, for shipping tortoise? I don't own one, nor have I ever had one shipped to me but WTF?!?!

Captive_Science 08-03-2011 11:11 PM

Andy - Thanks for the info. I will start that process. Like you, I have posted very little in the past eight or so years, but felt this was a bit over the top and needed to be addressed.

Riyeko 08-03-2011 11:14 PM

Oh my goodness.

Has this Jim been emailed or told about the BOI post?

I would like to see how he wiggles his way out of this one.. what cruelty. Those poor animals.
Poor babies.

I hope that the one that you received that was alive, gets better.
I cant believe that he wrapped him up fully with packing tape ... poor thing.

omahapied 08-03-2011 11:20 PM

This is pathetic. I cannot imagine how much pain this poor turtle went through :(

Captive_Science 08-03-2011 11:27 PM

Jaymie - The little guy is fine. He had a nice soaking and was eating greens within an hour of arrival.

Katie.Shinkle 08-03-2011 11:32 PM

Wow, just horrific. Poor girl struggled in there :(

Is it common practice to tape up a tortoise like the male when shipping? That just seems pretty odd to me. Glad he is doing well, and hope he continues to do so.

Jim, what do you have to say for yourself? Scamming someone is one thing, but to put that poor creature through that is disgusting.

Jt80 08-03-2011 11:33 PM

What the.

Why in the world would you tape up an animal like that? I'm surprised he didn't just slap the shipping label on the poor thing and try to mail him that way.

Hope the little guy is okay.

Some people. :angry:

laterob 08-03-2011 11:35 PM

Galen - I am very impressed with your calm demeanor and professionalism in this thread. I wish you the very best of luck in holding this guy accountable. As was said before, my heart goes out to that poor female.

reptilebaby 08-03-2011 11:45 PM

I already know I'd never do business with this......well, let's just say, person, is being too nice

laterob 08-03-2011 11:51 PM

Well, Jim joined in March, has two BP ads, and hasn't logged in since 6/29. This may sound wrong, but I wonder if those were even his animals. At any rate, his userpage is here, and he lists his contact number in the ads.

If the link doesn't work:

http://www.faunaclassifieds.com/foru...er.php?u=86249

Captive_Science 08-04-2011 12:07 AM

Rob - I appreciate the assistance and the kind comments.

I was under the impression that this was his account, from the tortoise listing that has been deleted..

http://www.faunaclassifieds.com/foru...er.php?u=87093

Must have two accounts.

laterob 08-04-2011 12:12 AM

Yup. Two accounts. Well, at least your guy has been active recently :) .

DaveyFig 08-04-2011 12:20 AM

One of the accounts has him listed as being from MI, and one from OH. In the Ohio profile he mentions the Ohio Tortoise Rescue. Could he be taking in tortoises as rescues and selling them?

DavidBeard 08-04-2011 12:45 AM

Sort of off topic, but since when do Sulcatas fetch $900? I always thought they were rather cheap tortoises...is this some kind of morph?

DaveyFig 08-04-2011 12:48 AM

$900 is about right for an adult female.

chazzz 08-04-2011 01:04 AM

Dave you beat me to the punch. I also noticed the two locations but what caught my eye even more is Ohio Tortoise Rescue in his Signature. I think Ohio Tortoise Torture would be a more fitting signature. And Dave I think you're on the right track about him taking in rescues then selling them for a very high profit.

This goes way beyond the normal bad guy post on the BOI where someone might have made a mistake or even the normal scams you see here. As odd as this may sound I would have much rather seen that nothing was shipped and the OP was scammed out of his money. At least then this poor tortoise wouldn't have had to go through such torture prior to its final demise.

There's no excuse for what happened here. Although I don't think Jim will make an appearance on this thread but I do hope he is held accountable for his actions to the fullest extent.

I'm so sorry Galen that you have been put through this mess and my biggest sympathy goes out to that female tortoise that must have endured so much pain and agony before it died.

Never has a thread turned my stomach so much as this one!!

Galen what was the return address on both shipments? Judging by the how different the tortoises were shipped even though they both were cruel and unusual. They seem like they may have been shipped from completely different people. Perhaps someone sending their tortoise to the supposed rescue. That's why he didn't know the tortoise had been shipped out. I find it very odd that his wife would ship out a tortoise without his knowledge.

DaveyFig 08-04-2011 01:16 AM

The Jim Taliaferro with an a (not Talioferro with an o) in Dryden, MI has a facebook page that is accessible to people not on his friends list. He is the owner of a landscaping company in Dryden called "A Cut Above".

laterob 08-04-2011 01:16 AM

Chazz is onto something. Google's never heard of 'Ohio Tortoise Rescue'. This guy also had an ad (7/22 I think) for painted turtles but he listed it/them as 'paited turtles'. Get him, OP, get him good!

laterob 08-04-2011 01:18 AM

They are both 'Jim Taliaferro', no?

laterob 08-04-2011 01:22 AM

Wonder if anyone in Dryden's reported a missing tortoise (from the yard) recently......

RichsBallPythons 08-04-2011 01:51 AM

Whats his Phone Number you texted back and forth to.

Clay Davenport 08-04-2011 02:00 AM

I have restored the ad for the female sulcata. It can be seen here.

http://www.faunaclassifieds.com/foru...d.php?t=259360

Both accounts do belong to the same person, the same phone number is given in ads posted under both accounts (248-978-5394).