FaunaClassifieds

FaunaClassifieds (https://www.faunaclassifieds.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Legislative Discussions (https://www.faunaclassifieds.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=456)
-   -   RED ALERT: HR511 Stop Python and Boa BAN NOW! (https://www.faunaclassifieds.com/forums/showthread.php?t=304200)

USARK.Jonathan.Brady 02-27-2012 08:44 AM

RED ALERT: HR511 Stop Python and Boa BAN NOW!

RED ALERT: HR511 Stop Python BAN NOW!

HR 511, a bill to amend title 18, United States Code, to prohibit the importation of various injurious species of constrictor snakes; Indian python, Python molurus, including the Burmese python, Python molurus bivittatus; reticulated python, Broghammerus reticulatus; Northern African python,Python sebae; Southern African python, Python natalensis; Boa constrictor; yellow anaconda, Eunectes notaeus; DeSchauensee’s anaconda, Eunectes deschauenseei; green anaconda, Eunectes murinus; and the Beni anaconda, Eunectes beniensis, in the US House of Representatives, was introduced January 26, 2011 by Congressman Tom Rooney (R-FL) .

Congressman Rooney has taken action to move HR 511! This bill seeks to add 9 constricting snakes to the Injurious Wildlife List of the Lacey Act. HR 511 has been scheduled for a Markup Hearing before the US House Judiciary Committee on Tuesday February 28, 2012 at 10:00 AM EST.

http://judiciary.house.gov/hearings/markups112.html

>>There is very little time to voice opposition to this bill that could devistate the Reptile Community. Please participate in the USARK Call In Campaign TODAY!<<

PHONE CAMPAIGN:

Talking Points:

• Will destroy thousands of jobs and small family businesses; $104 million annual economic impact.
• Criminalize the actions of over 1 million American Citizens; Lacey Act felons.
• Federal action to address a localized problem in South Florida is unnecessary; the State of Florida and US Fish & Wildlife have already taken draconian measures.
• Underlying science has been criticized by scientists from around the world.
• Creates a massive animal welfare problem, potentially displacing millions of animals.

Key Members of House Judiciary Committee:

Lamar Smith (R-TX)- 202-225-4236
Sensenbrenner (R-WI)- 202-225-5101
Coble (R-NC)- 202-225-3065
Issa (R-CA)- 202-225-3906
Gohmert (R-TX)- 202-225-3035
Chaffetz (R-UT)- 202-225-7751
Gowdy (R-SC)- 202-225-6030
Poe (R-TX)- 202-225-6565
Goodlatte (R-VA)- 202-225-5431

DO IT NOW!!!

Micha 02-27-2012 10:06 AM

I've posted this up on the Monster Snakes group on facebook. I don't think a lot of people know about this yet and there's not much time!!:(

Micha 02-27-2012 10:15 AM

I called the guy in VA, Goodlatte(wasn't him personally) and the guy answering the phone told me that he had received numerous calls about this today. I just hope more call in.

maddox 02-27-2012 01:00 PM

I've been informed that an animal rights activist named Meredith Lowel may have been arrested for hiring a contract killer. I haven't had time to verify this information, but if its true, any association the people behind HR511 may have had with her could be leverage.

I called Lamar Smith and got directed to the committee office directly. She asked 'What is your opposition to this bill?' before I got to state my opinion. Hopefully thats a good sign. But don't stop calling. She never asked any info for me so I don't see why I can't call again later.

Tenor Goddess 02-27-2012 06:53 PM

Definitely call all the listed reps, not just the local ones to your area. A bunch told me that I needed to call my local branch but they are getting calls, so hopefully they are getting a poop storm of calls period and will get our point across. Even thought I was essentially "blown off," they were very polite about it. My local rep Issa's office actually let me speak, then thanked me for my concerns and said she'd forward my concerns to my rep (it was the secretary). She was very kind. Please call today people. Be polite, professional and courteous. We do not need anyone calling up swearing their heads off and being pissy. We are all upset about this but we need to call and calmly voice our opinions so they will listen, rather than hang up on us.

We all need to stand up now, today and call these offices.

Kindest regards,

Amanda Rose

snowgyre 02-27-2012 10:30 PM

I am confused though, what is the justification for adding the species that were originally removed from Lacey Act consideration? I thought they were legally unable to include all of those species due to issues concerning going over the economic impact limit that would require more rigorous science behind the legislation? What happened to the "victory" with only having four species listed instead of all nine??

salottimc 02-28-2012 10:45 AM

I really wish I saw this before now. Someone please update with any new information. Once again, PETA, HSUS and the ASPCA are the devil incarnate. They hide behind noble goals, but their true agenda occurs in the shadows.

salottimc 02-28-2012 05:35 PM

It passed....

InterExotics 02-28-2012 06:08 PM

I seriously can feel my heart breaking right now. As soon as I found out I spent all day yesterday making phone calls and sending out emails. Go figure my efforts are worth nothing. But I'm still fighting...

And seriously considering getting the hell out of this country before it gets worse....

Tenor Goddess 02-28-2012 07:40 PM

Please do not feel it was all for nothing. Our efforts brought attention to this and that is worth a lot.
Right now, we just need to put our heads together and get out there to stop this.
I don't know if I'm allowed to post this here, but Laura found this and posted it on Facebook.
Going to share this again. It's loading and working fine for me. Please everyone, Vote NO.
Come on everyone. Let's get more than 60 some odd people on this. There are THOUSANDS of herp keepers out there. We can do so much better. :)
https://www.popvox.com/bills/us/112/hr511/report#nation

Anything can only help towards our cause. :)

Amanda Rose