FaunaClassifieds

FaunaClassifieds (https://www.faunaclassifieds.com/forums/index.php)
-   Venomous Snakes Discussion Forum (https://www.faunaclassifieds.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=327)
-   -   Sci-fi or possible Sci-fact w/ venomous keepers? (https://www.faunaclassifieds.com/forums/showthread.php?t=65857)

Scarlett_Fawn 03-10-2005 06:19 PM

Sci-fi or possible Sci-fact w/ venomous keepers?

I know I'm proabably crazy (okay, so I KNOW I am, but in any case...) wouldn't it be theoretically possible for a human to become immune to a certain kind of snake's venom if introduced to very low volumes slowly increased over a long, long period of time? I mean, they do it with horses to make antivenin or whatever, don't they?

Just thinkin' out loud,
Brenda

reptilebreeder 03-10-2005 07:03 PM

It's not only possible, but it's been proven. Bill Haast out of Florida has been bitten close to 200 times by venomous snakes. He collects venom to make antivenin. Apperently, they have even used his blood to save snakebite victims.

Karen Hulvey 03-10-2005 08:18 PM

I read about someone who has been injecting himself w/small amounts of various snake venom for many years. He had also been bitten by venomous snakes hundreds of times. It was several years ago when I read that article and I was wondering if this could be the guy?

Scarlett_Fawn 03-10-2005 08:33 PM

Very cool... I wonder what the side effects of that might be... I believe I remember a National Geographic or something in which a guy who had become immune to bee stings because he had been stung so much would supposedly die if he got stung anymore.

hhmoore 03-10-2005 09:24 PM

was going to post earlier, but was too pressed for time. it is definitely something that has been proven, and there are a few people I have heard of that practice "self immunizing". interesting concept, albeit dangerous in practice. the potential for deadly consequences is tremendous, whether it be due to variation in venom or sudden allergic response (ever heard of someone developing an allergy to bee stings after many years? the response to the envenomation can be fast and strong)

reptilebreeder 03-11-2005 01:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Karen Hulvey
I read about someone who has been injecting himself w/small amounts of various snake venom for many years. He had also been bitten by venomous snakes hundreds of times. It was several years ago when I read that article and I was wondering if this could be the guy?

As hhmoore mentioned there are several accounts of people injecting small amounts of venom to try to develop immunity, but Bill Haast is probably who you read about. He owns miami or is it florida serpentarium? He has been on a few of the National Geographic type shows. He always states that, but for a few hospital stays due to snake bite, that he hasn't been sick a day in his life, and attributes it to his venom regimen. As I talk about him, is he even still alive? He's gotta be pushing upper 80's, guess I'll google after I'm done.

hhmoore 03-11-2005 04:01 AM

Bill Haast (of the Miami Serpentarium) is definitely the most famous (infamous?) in that regard. if memory serves, he would be in his 90s. not sure if he is still kicking...for some reason, I have it in my head that there was something a year or so ago. a bite, and problems with his hand?? (possibly with concerns over survival?) not sure - could easily be mistaken. will try to look it up. if anybody knows, fill us in.

Ciliatus 03-15-2009 11:11 AM

Oh youtube.... check this out :rolleyes: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IZ0Dae-RB48

harrellharrell 11-07-2009 09:21 AM

That dude is nuts! Off his rocker! How could you convince yourself that that is a good idea?

V^^V 11-07-2009 11:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by reptilebreeder (Post 242728)
It's not only possible, but it's been proven. Bill Haast out of Florida has been bitten close to 200 times by venomous snakes. He collects venom to make antivenin. Apperently, they have even used his blood to save snakebite victims.

Seen him on discovery channel or something like that a while back. Balls of steel for sure. Really big ones too. He's saved some lives as well. Did anyone notice how disfigured his hands are from all the bites? He's paid his dues and then some.